Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: racism / intolerance / etc

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spasm View Post
    this, nice post whytboiz, and where have you been, haven't seen yo ass on in Pub in a while.
    yea dude, ive been MIA for a few weeks. im learning spanish for work lol. we are starting to receive more hispanic patients. i'll be able to play this weekend.

but yeah, these types of issues will never be resolved... because we always get new people here who dont know how things go down in the wild wild ibis.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by whytboiz33 View Post
    yea dude, ive been MIA for a few weeks. im learning spanish for work lol. we are starting to receive more hispanic patients. i'll be able to play this weekend.

but yeah, these types of issues will never be resolved... because we always get new people here who dont know how things go down in the wild wild ibis.
    learning spanish sucks. I have taken 2 classes in it, and because I don't really use it very often, I have forgotten a lot of it

Quote Originally Posted by Spasm View Post
    learning spanish sucks. I have taken 2 classes in it, and because I don't really use it very often, I have forgotten a lot of it
    same with me :/ three years of that shit and back to square 1 lol

4. Default

Spas + Wagner,

I am not going to ban and admin, it's against the rules, I am also not a prophet, god knows where that came from, I am simply making a statement about my interpretations of the R+R, not so hard really, just read em.

But I also said that if I hear racism commentary, and that goes for jokes too as it's NOT explicitly defined and IMHO, that should be inclusive, I will warn then ban as I always have, nothing has changed and so far all that I have done in the past has been acceptable.
    One cannot improve if they cannot see their mistakes!

If you can't do it right, Don't bother!

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

5. Default

Sorry for not posting in this sooner but I thought it would stop after maynard stated what I have always said on this matter. The only rule against racism is when directed at a player on the server where it then falls under disrespect. I strongly believe that people have freedom of speech and just becuase I or others may disagree with it is no right to stop it. However when any speech is used to harass or disrespect individual players that is when it crosses the line as stated in the rules.

The only other thing is that admins do have power to prevent spamming and maintain general order. As a result admins can ask users to stop saying things that are disrupting the server. For example if a player is always just spamming "cat attack" all the time and is not really doing anything but spamming chat ect an admin can tell them to stop. In the same way a player that is just spamming a bunch of vulgarities can be asked to stop as they are doing it to disrupt the server and not as a part of their normal communications. This is where the admin discretion kicks in and their power to order a player to stop or mute them.

You will notice that in both cases the intent of use of words is very important. It does not matter what the words are but if they are violating server rules against player disrespect or in some way causing disruptions to the server they are covered under the rules.

There were also some comments made in this thread in regard to admins so let me address that here as well. For years IBIS has been supported thanks to admin subscriptions from dedicated members of our community. Often when I speak of IBIS to people in RL I use collective tenseness and for example I say things like: "we are hoping to get our WCS server back up soon" "we should be able to reduce lag when" "our revenues have been increasing" "recently we have had to deal with a lot of down time" "we have always aimed to provide the best server for a given mod" "we are planning to launch our new system" and many more. When I phrase things like this people stop me after a while and say, "wait I thought you said you were the only one who owns it? Who is US?". To this I often replay, "well yes I do own and control the entire thing, I am the only one with the access and control over the funding. However, while I am the one who spends hours every day working on the server, upgrading them and fixing them I am not the only one keeping them running so well. It is only thanks to the support of admins, reserved slot users and regulars in the community who create the atmosphere on our servers. Without these players not only would there be no financial way for me to maintain the servers there would also be no competitive advantage to maintain the servers. I do a lot to keep the stuff running becuase I owe it to the people who pay me every month to keep things running so well! Lastly anyone can start some CSS servers but it is we the community that builds ones that stay. It is not the I that created IBIS it is the we that had so much fun playing and developing a game we love!" -at this point they usually sit quiet in confusion as I change topics and rant about something else.