Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My computer has died.

1. Default

I pretty much trashed the cpu...again. My cooling fan is so awful that it requires an additional fan to even be at normal temperatures. The first time I trashed the cpu, i was running BOINC for far too long.

This time, I have been running a cpu at around 80 C which comes as no surprise to me that i experience slowdown.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BladeTwinSwords View Post
    I pretty much trashed the cpu...again. My cooling fan is so awful that it requires an additional fan to even be at normal temperatures. The first time I trashed the cpu, i was running BOINC for far too long.

This time, I have been running a cpu at around 80 C which comes as no surprise to me that i experience slowdown.
    Why are you running at 2x the temp? I can't think of a single company that would put out goods that would allow that kind of temp as it would burn up in nothing flat!!

Did you build your own system? Did you build it right if you did? Do you know how to set bios up properly? What kind of rig do you have, especially what kind of MB, and case, and did you use a different fan that came with the CPU?

From what I have seen over time, there are some talented ppl here and no doubt could help you if these and other questions are answered.

DED
    One cannot improve if they cannot see their mistakes!

If you can't do it right, Don't bother!

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

3. Default

You have no idea how awful this computer is. Even when running normal, it hits 60 fairly easily. I currently don't have the money to just go out and buy another laptop. There is nothing decent about it other than a few nice programs that come with it.
    Attached Images

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BladeTwinSwords View Post
    You have no idea how awful this computer is. Even when running normal, it hits 60 fairly easily. I currently don't have the money to just go out and buy another laptop. There is nothing decent about it other than a few nice programs that come with it.
    I thought you made like 100K a year or something, at least I think that is what you said. That being said, imma miss you hoe

5. Default

Sounds like a case problem.
    Anyways there is nothing wrong with a cpu hitting 80, only if that 80 is prolonged for like 8 hours. Hell the i7 doesn't crap out untill 110-120 or so (but intell wont let you pull that stunt, down clocks when hitting 100). I pushed the i7 here to 98 before, but that was at 3.2ghz running prime95 with the default fan w/ no thermal paste. I lowered it down to 3ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

6. Default

blade.... just go do what u do best.... sell your ass to buy u a new pc...
    "BLINK-BLINK-BLINK-BLINK-BLINK"

7. Default

$20 for 5 minutes... take it or leave it Blade.

Don't worry, I will be a returning customer. I will just have to have dirty hot sex with you 40 times before you have earned $2000. We both win here.

8. Default

Actually the thermal cut off is 90C as it approaches that temp the heat increases exponentially as more and more energy is lost as heat in the conversion though the walls. This effect is amplified the thinner the walls are and thus the lower the nm value for the given chip.

On another note I think he said it was a laptop. Unfortunately almost all laptops have terrible cooling which is why I will only buy alienware b/c of the additional cooling they have.

Also your temps should not go above 60C when at max use to be safe. But I can say that the thermal cutoff for the latest intel chips does work as I have run mine with NO COOLING and it still works after the thermal limit was reached and it cut the power.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Actually the thermal cut off is 90C as it approaches that temp the heat increases exponentially as more and more energy is lost as heat in the conversion though the walls. This effect is amplified the thinner the walls are and thus the lower the nm value for the given chip.

On another note I think he said it was a laptop. Unfortunately almost all laptops have terrible cooling which is why I will only buy alienware b/c of the additional cooling they have.

Also your temps should not go above 60C when at max use to be safe. But I can say that the thermal cutoff for the latest intel chips does work as I have run mine with NO COOLING and it still works after the thermal limit was reached and it cut the power.
    Cut off for the i7 (desktop models) is 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

10. Default

Oh, I think I was thinking of the max safe operating temp for an NVIDIA gpu. But the point is the same.