Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: gettin a new desktop

1. Default

o.O holy crap fluffy, a prebuilt for that price! D: that actually is an amazing deal. Id go with a better psu then what you said, thats one thing you should NEVER skimp on.

Post the build here before you buy so we can critic it and your friend as I have seen many people online who think they know about computers pull out shitty builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

Quote Originally Posted by StarsMine View Post
    o.O holy crap fluffy, a prebuilt for that price! D: that actually is an amazing deal. Id go with a better psu then what you said, thats one thing you should NEVER skimp on.

Post the build here before you buy so we can critic it and your friend as I have seen many people online who think they know about computers pull out shitty builds.
    well hes an irl friend so i doubt he'd do that :P

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hallwagner View Post
    well hes an irl friend so i doubt he'd do that :P
    The point is, he wouldn't know he was doing it, because people that think they know what they're doing... think they know what they're doing. Maybe he does, or maybe he doesn't, it's better to double check :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Frufflebottoms View Post
    If you aren't up for building it yourself, and just want something that works out of the box, one decent option is this. Select "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card" as the video card, and "600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready" as the power supply. Should end up at $1,016. Free shipping to boot. That's a very decent price for a very decent pre-built system. i7-950, 1 TiB hard drive, 6 GiB of RAM, and a very good video card. That should cover the listed requirements.
    I've heard good things about CyberPower for pre-built machines. They're certainly a better deal than most. I agree with StarsMine that you should never, ever skimp on the power supply. I'd go with the Corsair 750TX - those PSUs are rated higher than any I've seen in a long time (and the 750W is only $10 more than the 650W). Pushes over budget a bit, but in the long run it could save you a lot of money if your cheap PSU burns out and takes some components with it. Also, you need to add Windows 7 to that price if you don't have a copy already. Finally, notice it comes with water-cooling by default... you might want that, or you might not, just take notice. I don't like the idea of intentionally running water through $1000+ of water-sensitive electronics.

If you build the machine yourself, you'll always get the best deal, even better than CyberPower. Usually I figure I can save about $100 give or take over their prices, and I have more control over component brands (particularly memory and video card). It really isn't that difficult to do. Of course, you only get individual component warranties, vs. CyberPower's standard 3-year limited on the whole machine. I'm not sure what their support is like, haven't really heard much about it.

4. Default

Dell, Gateway, etc. are all proprietary BS and u can NEVER update your system due to that fact.

Building your own system these days is REALLY easy and if you use a large ATX case u can basically upgrade any part at any time "forever", thus elininating the need of buying a new pc.

The net is a great tool and even YOU can do it :P

Newegg is a great place to shop and there are many others too (buy.com - tigerdirect). They have some deals that are packaged up for you IF you do not want to get too fussy and for under your price range u can have a rocking system.

GLK man

DED
    One cannot improve if they cannot see their mistakes!

If you can't do it right, Don't bother!

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

5. Default

ya so i need a new desktop comp for less than or close to 1000 $. preferably with 500 gb + hard drive, more than 4 gb ram. possibly an I7 processor, and a top of the line graphics card. any ideas?
    Get a 9400 GT with 2 GB RAM for a Graphics Card,it's only $50-70 and it can handle pretty much anything,even ARMA II.(Which is FAR more demanding than Crysis is,that card can also handle Crysis as well.)

It's the Graphics Card I've been using ever since I got this new computer of mine near the end of 2009,and for such a cheap price,it's served me more than well enough.I have yet to find a game for Windows XP that it can't handle.

Also,while 4 GB of regular RAM is better,2 GB is really enough for gaming.

6. Default

a 9400GT? uhm no. its not 50-70 beacuse the 9000 have been discontinued and the prices of those keep going up.
    once again im going to link to this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ming,2697.html

Why in gods green earth do you want to waist money on anything

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StarsMine View Post
    a 9400GT? uhm no. its not 50-70 beacuse the 9000 have been discontinued and the prices of those keep going up.
    once again im going to link to this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ming,2697.html

Why in gods green earth do you want to waist money on anything
    Discontinued?It's anything but.
    Besides,on Amazon it's still sold within the $50-70 range.No need for $150-400 Graphics Card,a $50-70 one that can alreadly handle just about anything is more than enough.

Just trying to save Hallwagner over there some money,I went through this whole thing myself last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazen4 View Post
    Discontinued?It's anything but.
    Besides,on Amazon it's still sold within the $50-70 range.No need for $150-400 Graphics Card,a $50-70 one that can alreadly handle just about anything is more than enough.

Just trying to save Hallwagner over there some money,I went through this whole thing myself last year.
    i've gotten the setup to a little under 1000

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H LGA 1156 H55 ATX Motherboard
    ram: OCZ Technology Gold Series XTC Cooler 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) Dual Channel Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)
    graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX460 SuperClocked PCIe 2.0 x16 Graphics Card
    optical drive: gettin a used 1 from my friend
    monitor: Acer G215HAbd 21.5" Widescreen LCD
    processor: Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz Processor Boxed
    keyboard: Adesso Desktop Multimedia Keyboard
    hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    case: Thermaltake Armor A90 ATX Mid Tower Case
    power supply: OCZ Technology ModXStream Pro 700W Modular ATX Power Supply
    all for $1025.98

9. Default

Hall did I not already say go for a p55? its the only mobo that supports sli in the 1156 socket. even if its $20 more get it as the fermi scales amazingly in sli. If you dont want to sli get a cheaper PSU because that is OC.

What I mean is you will be able to get a second 460 gtx (get the one gig, its awesomer) in 2 years for like 100 (and give your fps a 90% increase ) instead of spending 200 again for a brand new GPU
    Last edited by StarsMine; 09-02-2010 at 07:41 PM.

10. Default

i've gotten the setup to a little under 1000

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H LGA 1156 H55 ATX Motherboard
    ram: OCZ Technology Gold Series XTC Cooler 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) Dual Channel Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)
    graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX460 SuperClocked PCIe 2.0 x16 Graphics Card
    optical drive: gettin a used 1 from my friend
    monitor: Acer G215HAbd 21.5" Widescreen LCD
    processor: Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz Processor Boxed
    keyboard: Adesso Desktop Multimedia Keyboard
    hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    case: Thermaltake Armor A90 ATX Mid Tower Case
    power supply: OCZ Technology ModXStream Pro 700W Modular ATX Power Supply
    all for $1025.98
    To give you a pre-built alternative, check out this.

Same motherboard, same processor, slightly smaller case (A60, as they don't carry the A90,) 4 GiB of better DDR3-1666 memory, a better video card (EVGA GTX460 1 GiB,) same size hard drive, a better power supply (Corsair CMPSU-650TX,) and optical drive, keyboard, mouse included. Comes assembled and delivered with a three year warranty on the whole thing for $799. The monitor you picked is $150, so with that system, and the same monitor, you'll get a better computer with a better warranty for around $100 less, and you don't have to deal with the hassle of assembly and dead parts.