Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Anime...well...sorta

1. Default New to Anime...well...sorta

Yo, been getting back into animated series via my netflix. Haven't watched much Anime/Manga over the years but when I was a kid (I'm 35 now) the show "Starblazers" would come on after school and I never missed an episode. It was originally known, as many probably know already, as "Space Battleship Yamato" or "Uchū Senkan Yamato". Of course, back then Speed Racer came on (which I also never missed), along with lots of other anime-ish style cartoons (Thundercats, Robotech, Transformers, G-Force (Battle of the planets)..) Watched a little Avatar here and there on T.V. but didn't really get into it, although it seemed like a pretty cool story line. Just didn't devote any time or brain to actually getting hooked enough to care about the characters.

Most recently, like this past week, I checked out Afro Samurai, which I thought was pretty cool graphically. Story line was a little weak and one dimensional, but the visuals were great I thought. Could have used a little more blood.

Anyway, what are some good series I should check out? I started Fullmetal Alchemist yesterday. So far seems ok.

Oh...and hai. I'm :3VOLV3D:...some of you know me from Pub#1 probably. Peace.

2. Default

Are you watching Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. The first one does not truly follow the actual story line from the books and just makes up a LOT of stuff. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood follows the books and has a much better story and is a much better series overall.

If you liked Afro Samurai you may want to check out Samurai 7, it is a remake of the old movie 7 Samurai in a very interesting way.
    Here is a list of things that you may enjoy:
    Cowboy Bebop: Cool action series famous for its jazz music

Death Note: Great suspense series

Eden of The East: A mystery action series with a touch of romance that will grab you right from the start and will not let you leave the TV. I watched this series with some friends in marathon and it was worth it. This series has no lag points and holds your interest to the end.

Ga-Rei -Zero: This was a great series. It is an action series and has a very interesting way of telling you the story.

Ghost in the Shell: There is a bunch of these and they are really cool action cyberpunk series. The original movie that they are all based from is what sparked the idea for the creation of the Martix movies.

Macross Frontier: Great space/mech series that was a lot of fun to watch with great twists and turns. It is also a high production value series.

Pale Cocoon: The only disappointment here is that there is not more at only 1 episode long! This was a great OVA and one that I would like to see more done with. Not to say that it was lacking in any way due to the length as it was very in depth given the length and a very good OVA.

Sword of the Stranger: You liked watching sword action and an interesting story right, well here you go.

The ones above are really good to start off with, so good job ZERO.

If you just watched Afro Samurai, you should probably watch Afro Samurai Resurrection, the sequel. It's twice as hardcore.

If you were a fan of good ol' Yamato, then any galactic space opera series will do. I've heard Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a great fit. It's long, though. Be warned.

I'm going to have to recommend Gurren Lagann to you if you like mech series at all. It's also a sort of galactic space opera, but it's not entirely in space all the time. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

If you want a side dish of philosophy and existentialism with your mechs, go ahead and watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you ever tire of manly action sequences and overexaggerated animation, settle down with Toradora, the finest romantic comedy around (ok, that's disputable, but it's really damn good).

Also watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni for a great horror/mystery/suspense series.

If you're into movies, there's three names you need to know: Hayao Miyazaki, Makoto Shinkai, and Mamoru Hosoda. Any of their films guarantees a good time.

Last, but definitely not least, you should probably watch at least one (or all) of Kyoto Animation's series. They are Full Metal Panic, Air, Kanon, Clannad, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Lucky Star. Lucky Star is the final boss, save it for last. If you can conquer it, then congratulations! You have passed Anime 101.

Some tips for passing this "class": use http://www.myanimelist.net regularly and liberally to find great series. You can also keep track of what you've watched. You can add me as a friend if you want. Username is the same.
    Above all else, have fun!
    Avatar: Kyubey (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)

Real name: Perry Logan, Higurashi/Umineko Scholar Extraordinaire

Game/Visual Novel Currently Playing: SotC/Steins;Gate 8-bit

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Cowboy Bebop: Cool action series famous for its jazz music
    Cowboy Bebop was possibly my favorite anime when I was growing up, I always liked anime, but the only stuff I ever saw was on Adult Swim and other cartoon network shows. If you could recommend any good series I would be so happy

The only anime series I have watched are Cowboy Bebop for 1, and a bit of the Dragon Ball series. The only movie I have seen was Spirited Away, which I thought was animated gold.

"lol.. im surprised no one has called hacks on me recently....i have gotten better" - Perry

5. Default

Outlaw Star (watch the english dub. far better than the sub imo) think Firefly as an anime.

for an action-ish anime, Trinity Blood.

if you want a mix-up between mecha, romance, coming-of-age, etc etc...then Eureka Seven's the way to go.

as stated earlier, Neon Genesis Evangelion is good, but it's pretty intense and not for new people.

basically, this is my list. they're all excellent:

mecha:
    Eureka Seven (also romance)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (also psychological mindfuck)
    Macross Frontier
    Gundam Wing

action (non-mech):
    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    Outlaw Star
    Cowboy Bebop
    Trinity Blood
    Kaze no Stigma (also romance-ish)

Sci-fi/psychological:
    Ghost in the Shell
    Elfen Leid
    Persona
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

6. Default

posting in a serious recommendation thread

Watch REC, Hanbun Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora, Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu, Koharu Biyori, Kowarekake no Orgel, and Mnemonosyne

actually yah, Mnemonosyne is definitely up you're ally OP, its good stuff

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AnHero View Post
    posting in a serious recommendation thread

Watch REC, Hanbun Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora, Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu, Koharu Biyori, Kowarekake no Orgel, and Mnemonosyne

actually yah, Mnemonosyne is definitely up you're ally OP, its good stuff
    Mnemosyne looks good. but why only 6 episodes? i hate it when series end too suddenly (kaze no stigma, trinity blood, hellsing...)
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.

8. Default

One thing you may like, which wasn't mentioned yet, is Samurai Champloo. Very fun series with good animation, an interesting style, and some fun music.
    Kiro : us fireyes got dumb by his girl that y he is suck

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    Mnemosyne looks good. but why only 6 episodes? i hate it when series end too suddenly (kaze no stigma, trinity blood, hellsing...)
    umm its not a series, everything i listed were OVA sets

OVA's are short, but typically extremely high quality in comparison to tv series

they also have less restrictions towards what they are allowed to show

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AnHero View Post
    umm its not a series, everything i listed were OVA sets

OVA's are short, but typically extremely high quality in comparison to tv series

they also have less restrictions towards what they are allowed to show
    ahhhh.

i've had bad experiences w/ ova's. namely hellsing. they fucking ruined that series with hellsing ultimate