Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: just a thought about bans

Ban everyone rawrgg!!!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    Ban everyone rawrgg!!!
    not funny after scott
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

3. Default

While there have ban a few people who have had to wait an unfair amount of time to be unbanned...
    I made a ban (got enough feedback that there wasn't enough evidence) and that the player was unbanned 3 hours later.

I think the issue is more why Mani is not allowing Admins or Clan from unbanning certain people. If this issue could be fixed the other wouldn't be a problem.

4. Default

Here are the flaws with your idea, and I mean this with the utmost respect Ownz so don't take it as a personal shot.

Zero, he is a busy man. Not only does he have to handle the vast majority of everything IBIS related, but he also has a social life, and a complete life outside of IBIS. I feel we put enough burden on him as it is, and people like kavinsky don't understand how busy he truly must be.

And in all honesty, I wouldn't want him deciding who should get banned anyways. I mean come on. Look at the Hallwagner scrape. Zero had faith in that kid and gave him how many chances, when it was clear as fucking day that Hallwagner failed at being an admin, and as a player. No offence Hall. He gave him how many chances? WAY TO MANY and I'm sure you'd agree with me on that one...

Needless to say, Unless the structure of the authority system of IBIS were to change, than your idea wouldn't work. A few, very select, number of IBIS community members are rational enough and intelligent enough to make these sorts of decisions. If Zero implemented your idea, and allowed those very few and far between individuals to make the judgment calls, than it would be an astounding success in my mind.

And never forget Owns, I <3 U!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    thx for all the opinions and advice ppl... aside from rage lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO
    Think of the reserved slot as a vip ticket to the club. You get to go past the line and kick someone out of the club so you can get in. However if on your way to the club some fat ass gets stuck in the door when the bouncer goes to check him then you got to wait for the fire department to cut his fat ass out of the door before you can get in.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vladninja View Post
    While there have ban a few people who have had to wait an unfair amount of time to be unbanned...
    I made a ban (got enough feedback that there wasn't enough evidence) and that the player was unbanned 3 hours later.

I think the issue is more why Mani is not allowing Admins or Clan from unbanning certain people. If this issue could be fixed the other wouldn't be a problem.
    But that wouldn't change the fact that other admins can't undo another admins ban. There would still be a process that would have to be followed. For instance, Joker banned freebase, and he wasn't hacking, but even though I know this...I can't just go unban him...that would create a whole new problem in itself.

Rage: No offense taken. The point of this thread is to get ideas and kind of see what direction this whole idea can go. I think the way it is, is just not sufficient.

If you were a beautiful sound in the echos all around, I'd be your harmony.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fireye View Post
    Don't rely on zero for feedback, having one point of failure is a bad idea. I think it's quite a good thought, but instead of submitting it to zero, put it in the Ban Requests forum with a demo. Wait for people to weigh in, then impose it.

(We can ban steamid's when they're not on the server, right?)
    Actually there currently isn't a way to ban people while they are not on the server, because mani admin plugin doesnt allow you to add a ban to the server unless they are on the server, now thats not to say that zero could possibly customize mani admin plugin a little bit and add a command that can add a ban while a person isn't on the server and the only other way to add a ban to the server w/o them being on the server is through the server files by just adding the steamid, ip, etc....

Also, just to commant on Ownzs' suggestion that would be agood idea as Rage said and they way things are right now is the best because there is really no other way that would be better because even if we were to change the way bans are added than that still means there will always be a process to get someone either banned or unbanned from a server and could take an even longer time to get unbanned if there are only a few people that can issue an unban, no offence Ownz

Although I havent been implementing the idea, I agree with owns and rage about posting before banning if not 110 percent sure about a hacker. I honestly have no idea how to tell if a radar hack is being used, and walling is extremely touchy...Therefore i ask now :P

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XX0wnsXY View Post
    But that wouldn't change the fact that other admins can't undo another admins ban. There would still be a process that would have to be followed. For instance, Joker banned freebase, and he wasn't hacking, but even though I know this...I can't just go unban him...that would create a whole new problem in itself.

Rage: No offense taken. The point of this thread is to get ideas and kind of see what direction this whole idea can go. I think the way it is, is just not sufficient.
    Well it is within the Clan members right to unban a player (if needed)... The problem in the past has been when both NYS and James were ubable to unban certain players.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XX0wnsXY View Post
    It seems that some people are having trouble telling the difference between a good player and wall hacks. i've seen many people get banned that were obviously not hacking, that still aren't unbanned.

what if in order to ban a wall hacker, a demo had to be provided before the ban, and zero made the decision. that way no innocent people get banned and stay that way for days, ultimately turning them off from ibis servers.

the only stipulation would be that the demos would surely have to have sb_status (even though they already should) so that a ban could be issued later if found evident of hacking.

thoughts?
    I like owns Idea but it is flawed to wait for zero
    So i propose this:
    Person can not be banned till least 3 to 5 admins have actually watched the demo.
    Secondly many of you say you cant ban someone from a server without them being in game......
    THATS NOT EXACTLY TRUE

There is a list of commands you can use. Though I have not tried them all to verify if they work.
    Code:
    ma_aban_name
    ma_aban_pname

ma_akick_ip
    ma_akick_name
    ma_akick_pname
    ma_akick_steam
    ma_ashow_ip
    ma_ashow_name
    ma_ashow_pname
    ma_ashow_steam

ma_ban
    ma_banip

ma_unauto_ip
    ma_unauto_name
    ma_unauto_pname
    ma_unauto_steam
    ma_unban
    ma_akick_steam <steamID>
    This will autokick anyone who tries to join a server with that ID

ma_ashow_steam
    Shows whos on the list to be Autokicked

ma_unauto_steam <steamID>
    This takes them off.

Not sure if ma_aban works.

Zero could easily add these to mani in-game menu system.
    Anyways I like the idea of not banning until Least 3 people have overlooked the Demo, Unless its a extremely obvious hax.

10. Default

ive only had 1 ban overturned since ive played on ibis...... just watch your shit, if you arnt sure ask somebody else... thats what the ban request thread is for...

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm ~ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Step 1: Get Admin
    Step 2:
    Step 3: Get Perma Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmail242 View Post
    ... IBIS in the name right? ibis.a means admin while IBIS means Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRIBBLE View Post
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. — General George S. Patton