Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: US Government Begins Global Internet Censorship Without Court Orders

1. Arrow US Government Begins Global Internet Censorship Without Court Orders

US Government Begins Global Internet Censorship Without Court Orders

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...-search_engine

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_7_0_t&usg=AFQjCNFaTG1n_i2E-gV-mZzGM60oJ_KkDA&cid=17593823089267&ei=q9vxTNiVC5XcM _PLyYwC&rt=MORE_COVERAGE&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2 F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052748704 693104575639692746020382.html%3Fmod%3Dgooglenews_w sj

Apparently the US Gov can remove any website off the internet it wants for any reason without a court order. I wonder how long before they can come into my home and take things with no court order and without even saying what law I have broken.

While these sites may have been breaking some laws it is important to note that the Government even said that it did not remove the sites for violating any particular law. In other words the Gov is removing anything they do not like off the internet.

2. Default

Note that they do claim they were executing court orders but copyright is a procedural law and can not be enforced legally in this way. The claims that there were court orders while there is still been no evidence of any such orders only helps support that the Gov is just making up whatever it wants.

3. Default

yea, I saw this, I dont like it at all, and Im not sure how they could get a court order to do such a thing, hopefully sometime soon the supreme court will do something about it

http://www.technobuffalo.com/blog/ne...illegal-sites/
    Last edited by StarsMine; 11-28-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

4. Default

It's just another example of why ICANN should be an entirely independent organisation, and why, ideally, it should be well outside of the jurisdiction of most Western governments.
    Quote Originally Posted by &&toasties
    I'd do Fluffy any day.

5. Default

This makes me rather furious since much of the music I get are from sources online.

..... it is possible they proclaimed this.. as a scare tactic.. for people like WIKILEAKS who plan on revealing millions of the governments secrets on the internet.. this is a HUGE thing for the goverment and military considering all there plans are revealed if it happens......... Taking in consideration, National Security i see no reason why this Announcement is obscene. The goverment is only out to maintain National Security not get rid of sites that bash.

after reading.. it seems like the goverment is doing what they do with any other unlawful infirgment (kinda like what most do in our severs)

examples "Police confinscate drugs, THEN bring you to court"
    "goverment Seizes any criminal activity as evidence THEN bring you to court"
    "admins ban under suspicion, THEN bring it to our forums"

i see no problem in the government taking action on somthing they can no longer "control" any more. Especially when alot of the stuff is beyond our national boundaries.
    even in the midst of this "dilemma" i think the last thing anyone in our country should be worrying about is internet sites that provide illeagle downloads but more focusing on stuff like the most recent attack on South korea and other world wide conflicts that are far more important then this. the last thing our country needs is more people to detest our goverment for its minor discions when a major one finally comes along.

p.s. seriously if people want to see a movie or listen to a CD .. buy it.. if you can afford the internet.. why cant you afford a movie or CD
    Last edited by DJ_MikeyRevile; 11-28-2010 at 06:36 AM.

7. Default

Wikileaks IS the government... dont you think its a little fishy how they can get HUGE top secret files, not just little heresay stuff, but terabytes of data, that somehow just oopsied its way out of some super secure vault in the pentagon. And all the while Julian Assange walks around doing public interviews, and having a good ol time. What do you think would happen to you if you had released even a minorly classified government document? I dont trust wikileaks as far as i could throw em. The government shows us daily that they can and will silence people, but the one man walking around throwing the supposedly most secure and dangerous data in the history of the US government around like its no big deal gets away scott free... Tell me that makes sense.

"lol.. im surprised no one has called hacks on me recently....i have gotten better" - Perry

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jssaylor2007 View Post
    Wikileaks IS the government... dont you think its a little fishy how they can get HUGE top secret files, not just little heresay stuff, but terabytes of data, that somehow just oopsied its way out of some super secure vault in the pentagon. And all the while Julian Assange walks around doing public interviews, and having a good ol time. What do you think would happen to you if you had released even a minorly classified government document? I dont trust wikileaks as far as i could throw em. The government shows us daily that they can and will silence people, but the one man walking around throwing the supposedly most secure and dangerous data in the history of the US government around like its no big deal gets away scott free... Tell me that makes sense.
    You should look into the term whistleblower. People are giving Assange and wikileaks the information anonymously. The system Assange has set up is solid and 100% legal. They have at least one person representing wikileaks in almost every major country to avoid breaking international law. THIS IS WHY WIKILEAKS IS DANGEROUS.

For example, a PFC in the US Army (he was an analyst) stole some info from a secure network while overseas. He submitted a video of an Apache killing 12 people, two of which are rumored to be Reuters reporters. He got caught because he bragged to a hacker friend who felt it necessary to turn the kid in to the US gov.
    Now the PFC is looking at 50 years +.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10529110

edit: also this guy does NOT have what would be considered "the most secure and dangerous data in the history of the US." It's war logs. Who/where/what was killed/shot/injured. Most classified information that is 'dangerous' to the US is compartmentalized to the point where one document makes no sense without other corresponding documents. This is also why there are different levels of classified information.
    Last edited by SCRIBBLE; 11-28-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Its just another way the government can control what they can't control. The internet is beyond anyone's control and the government wants to control it so they do stupid shit like this, only problem is, when the government spits in the face of internet users, internet users make their own ways of doing what they want and share it out and thus, we do what we want on here anyways. So, its just a waste of time and money. Leave my fredoms alone, k, thanks.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    ..... it is possible they proclaimed this.. as a scare tactic.. for people like WIKILEAKS who plan on revealing millions of the governments secrets on the internet..

p.s. seriously if people want to see a movie or listen to a CD .. buy it.. if you can afford the internet.. why cant you afford a movie or CD
    Wikileaks is under a mass ddos attack right now. Try to visit the site... I am unable to.

The principle for a lot of people is watch or listen before buying. I can't tell you how much money piracy has saved me. I buy movies, music, and games... however I always try the product before I buy it.

EDIT: Apparently Wikileaks is supposed to drop those new US documents tomorrow. The Guardian, Der Spiegel and NYT have it. They said they will still run the story even if Wikileaks is still down... Here is a theory. The US gov is trying to shut down piracy websites (Mostly torrent sites) to stop the information from spreading... Ill be you $10
    Last edited by anex; 11-28-2010 at 01:31 PM.