Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Andehsaurus, Nov 30th.

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by brett friggin favre View Post
    An interp of 0.1 is set for pings between 100-200. Any ping under 100, 0.03 is fine. 0.02 should be good for pings around 20-30. As far as I know that's just about the reg you get on your shots, not on shots that other players get on you, but I have been wrong before.
    Pings don't have anything to do with interp, so thats one thing wrong with your theory.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Pings don't have anything to do with interp, so thats one thing wrong with your theory.
    If ya say so, that's just something I read elsewhere...which in itself is a feat cuz I fuckin hate reading.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
    ...those aren't the right rates for our servers here
    My rates are absolutely optimal. See the link in my post. The server limits me to 30k as per the sv_maxrate command that zero (or someone) has set to 30k. I'm lazy and don't want to change my rate depending on what server I'm in so I just spam my 9 key. 9s are fucking sexy. Go ahead and try it - put rate 99999999999999 in, hit enter. Now type rate, hit enter, and see what your console spits out at you >.>

This is the simple concept me and Dennis had rounds about, which is incredible because I gather DED has been around quite awhile - like you have been.

If you guys want to hand out bans on rates and netcode settings, I suggest you read up on the source netcode a little more. Its not an easy read but it will make you a much better admin. Hearing what "should be set" from other possibly ignorant individuals and having a thorough working knowledge of WHY and HOW these things work are two totally different things.

That being said - for a server that routinely has <20 people in it, sv_maxrate 30000 is a tad low >.> but that's for another thread.

As for cl_interp and cl_interp_ratio, those really don't have much to do with rates but you want your "lerp" as low as possible while staying WHITE. This lowers the "refresh rate" on your client's interpolation of hitbox/model locations between server ticks. In layman's terms - lower lerp means tighter hitboxes and thus better reg. Getting hit 2-3 seconds after going around a corner? The asshole that just nailed you has a high lerp, most likely the default of 100ms. There is a way to have the server force interp commands to make situations like that less common but again - thats another thread.

Here's the link again: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...yer_Networking
    Last edited by dice; 12-13-2010 at 05:26 AM.

^ has it

since the OB update, lerp is critical to shot registration. also, having a server set to the standard 66tick is optimal now. 100tick is obsolete and also changes the game. see the current competitive server standards for more details.

truly, IMO, not many servers can handle 100tick on the new engine, hence valve defaulting the game to 66.