Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BEST HEADSET - Discuss

1. Question BEST HEADSET - Discuss

Going to buy a new headset cuz Creative won't resolve my issues with the TWO sets of Fatality Pro I have that won't work on Win 7 for some reason, Sooo,, please consider yourself invited to share your opinions for Windows 7 ONLY headsets (w/ mic) and why they're the best, etc.

Thanks in advance,

DED
    One cannot improve if they cannot see their mistakes!

If you can't do it right, Don't bother!

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

2. Default

Honestly the best headset is no headset. The quality of a good set of headphones will always be better and does not require drivers. In addition the mics are basically going to be the same if your running a newer motherboard. So just buy a 3.5mm mic and your set.

Is there any reason why you want a head set or do you just think that this is what you need? The best solution from the perspective of quality, value and compatibility is to just buy a separate mic and headphone that do not require drivers.

As far as being able to hear things from different directions you just need something that has a good sound stage. The larger the sound stage the easier it is to determine distances when gaming. A good set of headphones that have a real sound stage will beat those gimmick surround sound monstrosities any day.

Lastly do you know how much money your looking to spend?

3. Default

When it comes to the best headset, I always trusted skull candy. I bought a headset from them with built in bass for $80. The sound was amazing and when I used it in pub it helped me hear little details that would tell me where my enemies were coming from. This one didn't include a mic (bought it at an airport store) but if you check their website I am pretty sure they sell ones with them.

4. Default

Plantronics never failed on me..

Logitech has never failed me..

been using 5 doller logitech headphones with win 7 since September 09

i also have a set of logitech headphones, cost me 20$ and while it has gone through some physical wear, the sound quality is still amazingly good for the price. also, the sound quality of the mic itself never seems to fail. i dont know what model it is though

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Honestly the best headset is no headset. The quality of a good set of headphones will always be better and does not require drivers. In addition the mics are basically going to be the same if your running a newer motherboard. So just buy a 3.5mm mic and your set.

Is there any reason why you want a head set or do you just think that this is what you need? The best solution from the perspective of quality, value and compatibility is to just buy a separate mic and headphone that do not require drivers.

As far as being able to hear things from different directions you just need something that has a good sound stage. The larger the sound stage the easier it is to determine distances when gaming. A good set of headphones that have a real sound stage will beat those gimmick surround sound monstrosities any day.

Lastly do you know how much money your looking to spend?

Z,

I have multiple reasons for wanting a good headset. To name a few:
    -Want to exclude any extraneous sounds
    -Want to be able to be considerate of the volume of game sounds to others both at home and in motels
    -Want to extrapolate the sounds/direction when playing online games for any advantage ( I need all the help I can get! :P)
    -Lastly, I want to have a mic that there will be no feedback on as I have tried the speaker/mic scenario and I think it sux all the way around for tons of reasons

As far as price goes, that's not really an issue. Anything under $100.00 or so is fine by me as long as it's high quality. I don't think there's reason to spend much more (just started my research) unless they can perform "other" functions..

EDIT--I found this article which seemed pretty informative:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...ming-headset/3
    Last edited by DeadEyeDeNNi$; 12-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyeDeNNi$ View Post
    Z,

I have multiple reasons for wanting a good headset. To name a few:
    -Want to exclude any extraneous sounds
    -Want to be able to be considerate of the volume of game sounds to others both at home and in motels
    -Want to extrapolate the sounds/direction when playing online games for any advantage ( I need all the help I can get! :P)
    -Lastly, I want to have a mic that there will be no feedback on as I have tried the speaker/mic scenario and I think it sux all the way around for tons of reasons

As far as price goes, that's not really an issue. Anything under $100.00 or so is fine by me as long as it's high quality. I don't think there's reason to spend much more (just started my research) unless they can perform "other" functions..

EDIT--I found this article which seemed pretty informative:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...ming-headset/3
    If you're open to headphones with a separate microphone, then this is a fantastic pair for the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by &&toasties
    I'd do Fluffy any day.

9. Default

The deal of a headset w/o a mic won't fly with me, too bulky an affair and too much shit when I travel as I have WAY too much shit already..

Actually, I'm still going to look a bit more but am really leaning toward these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

even tho Cretive is fucking me over on my two sets of Fatality Pros..

I'm still going back + forth with them + if I can pull off an even trade for my 2 sets of Fatality Pros for two of these I'll be happy!

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

10. Default

I am currently using the Sennheiser PC150 (replaced by the PC151), which has no fancy features, just a simple 2.0 headset with noise-canceling mic. It is roughly 5 years old, and I have never had any issues. Of course, it is a 3.5mm connected headset, so if you want the USB sister model, the PC166, you have to pay almost $100 more (that is also an open-backed set, which I can only imagine reduces isolation).

I can almost guarantee you that no other brand will touch the audio quality of a Sennheiser headset at the same price range.