Thread: Python on windows 7

1. Default Python on windows 7

im trying to learn how to read and write in computer language and all that stuff and i just downloaded and installed Python 3.2 for my computer and im on a tutorial website and its confusing as fuck. i keep getting syntaxerror messages and shit
    ex:
    >>> the_world_is_flat= 1
    >>> if the_world_is_flat:
    print "be careful not to fall off!"

Syntaxerror: invalid syntax

can someone help me plsssss

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

"Hey Garma, you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...it's nothing personal, thank your father!" - Char Aznable

2. Default

try a space after the_world_is_flat

and is the_world_is_flat a boolean, or an int?
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

3. Default

to be honest, idk.
    idk what a boolean or an int is...
    i just read that python is the easiest thing to start with when learning how to code...

"Hey Garma, you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...it's nothing personal, thank your father!" - Char Aznable

4. Default

The easiest code language is most certainly BASIC

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal Sheahon View Post
    to be honest, idk.
    idk what a boolean or an int is...
    i just read that python is the easiest thing to start with when learning how to code...
    Boolean is a single bit var, being 1 or 0, often used for true/false

int, well that depends on the code for the spicifics, but its usually I believe 8 bits, and well int is short for intiger

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BladeTwinSwords View Post
    The easiest code language is most certainly BASIC
    This.
    There is a minor syntax error:
    >>> if the_world_is_flat:
    should be
    >>> if (the_world_is_flat == 1):

But I don't think this should have been coded in the console. The console is mainly used for calling the functions you make in the upper box [can't remember its name now >_>]
    Make something in the upper box that says

def flatWorld()
    isFlat = 1
    if (isFlat == 1):

Then in the console, type this:
    >>> flatWorld()

7. Default

idk what upper box you are talking about.

i have two comand consoles. one is white and one is black and what white one give me colored letters.
    both are in interactive mode seeing as how i get the ">>>" prompting me for my next set of commands.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal Sheahon View Post
    idk what upper box you are talking about.

i have two comand consoles. one is white and one is black and what white one give me colored letters.
    both are in interactive mode seeing as how i get the ">>>" prompting me for my next set of commands.
    def flatWorld()
    isFlat = 1
    if (isFlat == 1):
    -Should be in the white box

>>> flatWorld()
    -Goes in the black box afterward.

9. Default

This will help you: http://codingbat.com/python

it's amazing, practice coding right in the browser

10. Default

ok. so i have the black command prompt but i dont have the white screen. and when i did they were both giving me ">>>"

i cant figure out where the white one went or how to get it so that ">>>" doesnt show up so i cant type situations in.