Thread: To Freedom

1. Arrow To Freedom

Well today is patriot day, in addition to honoring the memory of those who died on September 11th I ask that we all consider the name of this day: Patriot Day. According to Thomas Jefferson, one of the founding fathers, “patriotism is not a short frenzied burst of emotion, but the long and steady dedication of a lifetime” (Jefferson). I once again ask for you to think about the meaning of this day... it is sort of hard is it not. I think the real question is, what is a patriot?

Daniel Webster said that, “I shall know but one country. The ends I aim at shall be my country’s, my God’s and Truth’s. I was born an American; I live an American; I shall die an American” (Webster). Now is this what some would describe as patriotism? Yes and it is often a definition or statement such as this that well describes the men and woman in our armed forces. It is also thus seen that “the epitome of patriotism is the ultimate sacrifice of one's life” (Putnam).

Argo many say that it is those that serve the nation that can and should be considered patriots but one should also consider the words of Supreme Court Justice Brandeis, Louis D. who said that “the only title in our democracy superior to that of President is the title of citizen” (Brandeis). Therefor if the highest job in the land is that of citizen should it not be easiest for a citizen to practice patriotism?

The answer is yes but it begs the question of how. For this I turn to the words of John F. Kennedy, who said that citizens should “ask not what your country can do for you… [but] what you can do for your country” (Kennedy). So what does Kennedy mean by that, does he want us all to go out and be volunteers or something!? No, what he wants us to do is remember out power and duty as citizens and that duty is to be the real leaders and the real power of this nation. How you ask, well as CNN’s Glen Beck once said:
    Educate yourself--pass on what you learn to someone else, encourage them to pass it along, and so on. Getting informed, staying informed, and using that knowledge to help us act accordingly is our only chance. We need to realize that these problems aren’t about politics or party lines—at the end of the day, we’re not Democrats or Republicans, but Americans, and this problem applies equally to us all. (Beck)
    That is right the way to show your dedication to this great nation and this amazing thing we call democracy is to simply be involved and informed act and think about what you believe is right. Never give up on what is right and fight for it every single day.

Remember that while wrong or evil can be cloaked by the fog of ill intent it can only stay hidden as long as its master is there to pull the strings. What is right and true can stand alone and it shall still stand long after the masquerades have ended.

2. Default

hmm. today was the 1st year someone didn't mention 9-11 to me. seems like most were preoccupied to me.

3. Default

We sleep safely in our beds at night because of rough men ready to visit violence upon those who would do us harm

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm ~ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Step 1: Get Admin
    Step 2:
    Step 3: Get Perma Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmail242 View Post
    ... IBIS in the name right? ibis.a means admin while IBIS means Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRIBBLE View Post
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. — General George S. Patton

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by deprodigy View Post
    hmm. today was the 1st year someone didn't mention 9-11 to me. seems like most were preoccupied to me.
    And how many mentioned the economy....

5. Default

I overheard 2 mention the economy at the parts counter.

last commission cycle I sold 300k in 3 months. this cycle I only have 60k booked with 3 out of 4 months passed. my bonus will suck.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by deprodigy View Post
    I overheard 2 mention the economy at the parts counter.

last commission cycle I sold 300k in 3 months. this cycle I only have 60k booked with 3 out of 4 months passed. my bonus will suck.
    You suck at everything huh. CS, work, no extra milk for you either.

7. Default

and how many referenced info about the current campaigns that has nothing to do with politics or economics whats so ever.

8. Default

Don't misinterpret this, but I personally think 9/11 is treated a bit over the top. Coming from the NY/NJ area, I know numerous people who have been affected by that horrible day, but I still view that the media/name listing ceremony is just too much. Why is it that the media only mentions the Attack on Pearl Harbor as a side note on December 7, yet everyone goes over the top on September 11? I personally think if people want to respect the innocent dead of this country then we should treat Pearl Harbor just as reverently. Why not list all those men and women who died there? The consequences of the Attack on Pearl Harbor were just as great if not greater as it lead to our involvement in WWII. I just find it horribly hypocritical that people love to act Patriotic and respectful on September 11 every year, but brush December 7th off as just another day. Sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way, but respect should be shown to the past Americans who died for their country, not just the recently deceased.
    Anyways, my condolences will always go out to those who lost loved ones on9/11.

9. Default

chupas co!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    and how many referenced info about the current campaigns that has nothing to do with politics or economics whats so ever.
    0 no one talks politics at my work at all.

10. Default

B/c WWII is over and we already won that war. The war that we got in from 9/11 is still being fought and just like they did remember pearl harbor during WWII we can not forget that we are at war and will be until the enemy or us are totally destroyed.

Another note is that pearl harbor was mostly military and was a military target while 9/11 was a civilian target that was attacked not for military domination but for the sake of an idea.

I remember WWII on D-day and not on Pearl harbor but that is just me.