Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Epic computer crash!!!Need help asap

1. Default

First try a system restore. Boot your computer up and when you see the BIOS splash or whatever comes up first on your PC spam the fuck out of F8. Select boot from safe mode and read everything and proceed to the system restore utility. If you are unable to boot into safemode, simply go to a local computer repair store, or call around. Most of them are friendly enough to let you have a vista or XP install disk.

Also your laptop might have whats called a recovery partition. If that is the case you do not need a disk to reinstall your OS. Although I've never had much luck with the restore partitions it is worth a shot and its free.

As for backing up your data, hope your hard drive is SATA and find someone with a newer computer, if it is IDE you will need an adapter for an 2.5" hdd that has a molex power adapter as well as the 40 Pin adapter for the data cable, these cost about $15. Get a spare SATA data cable and hook your shit up to his/her computer and back up all your stuff. SATA drives are hotswapable so you really do not even have to turn your friend's PC off before you connect it. Your data should show up just like a regular hdd or external. Its a piece of cake.

Also downloading a disk or borrowing one from someone is completely legal so far as you use the license on the bottom of your laptop. ALL OEM DISKS ARE GENERIC AND CAN BE REUSED BY ANYBODY. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF BORROWING SOMEONES DISK. Also, all OEM version disks that have vista usually contain every version of vista and the features relative to your version will be activated by your specific product key. AGAIN DO NOT BE AFRAID OF USING A FRIENDS DISK AS LONG AS IT IS AN OEM COPY. DO NOT TRY TO USE A RESTORE DISK FOR A DIFFERENT TYPE OF COMPUTER, YOUR SHIT WILL NOT WORK.

Most importantly DO NOT TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO BEST BUY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.
    Last edited by dutch; 09-22-2008 at 11:57 PM.

2. Default Thank you

Tnx dutch for the last reply i thought about it and im not going to take my computer to best buy ill just keep looking around for a disk. as for the operating system, i do have the key so any other install disk would work but if do fix the reg how would i prevent my computer from doing this again and by the way i went to best buy to check what it would cost to get my files and media back and to restore my computer and so far they tellyed up over 700 dollars in reparis which is bull shit but ill keep trying to fix this problem but intell then theres no css for me which makes me sad....

3. Default

Do not adjust the registry for any reason! That will fix it. If you need to do basic registry work use spybot search and destroy it is safe.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FlawLessGamer View Post
    Tnx dutch for the last reply i thought about it and im not going to take my computer to best buy ill just keep looking around for a disk. as for the operating system, i do have the key so any other install disk would work but if do fix the reg how would i prevent my computer from doing this again and by the way i went to best buy to check what it would cost to get my files and media back and to restore my computer and so far they tellyed up over 700 dollars in reparis which is bull shit but ill keep trying to fix this problem but intell then theres no css for me which makes me sad....
    If i were you in that situation at Best Buy I woulda laughed so hard in their face until i ran out of breath. Then I would take a breath, and laugh just as hard all over again. So basically they were gonna charge you more than the cost of damn near a complete uber upgrade just to pop in a vista disk and let it do its magic. Again I laugh, breath, and laugh again.

Hope all's well with your cpu btw.