Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need PC help so I can play with you fools again!

1. Default

I know my motherboard has two BIOS chips on the board, if the primary fails then it loads the secondary. Clearing the CMOS just sets the bios settings back to factory defaults. I've had to clear mine at least 10 times now from overclocking my system and having it not post at times.

What motherboard do you have? I'm using a GA-MA78G-DS3HP.

2. Default

Clearing the cmos does not just reset the default values but is more of a bios reformat which protects you against a corrupted bios. I have gotten corrupted bios many times as a result of strange crashes or the computer getting pissed over a failed boot rom. Just resetting the bios and then changing the needed settings is the fastest way to get your system booting again.

Also for those of you that may have noticed there was an issue where the new post was not accessible in that the 3rd page was not loading. This was due to a database corruption created from the issues with the server a few days ago. I have repaired all thread data and the issue should be resolved now.

3. Default

The newer ones "should" auto recover. Check if your board is dual bios. One bios chip will say MAIN_BIOS, close near it will say BP_BIOS.

Unplug / Switch off PSU while Pressing and holding the power button until the system powers up and then back down. Press once to power up. Try a few times to make sure. If you have true Dual Bios, this should force it to boot from the second hardware chip and restore the original. A small beep should be a notification, not always though... If this doesn't work you are stuck in a loop of corruption. Clear CMOS, repeat.

Hope like shit that one isn't corrupt and if so, you have some flashing to do.

Go to Gigabyte and grab a bios bin that matches your mobo, extract zip and throw bin in the root of a thumb drive(must be formated fat32/16/12).
    At the bios post press END or F8 in bios setting, this should load Q-Flash and take you onto the next steps and procedure of flashing that bin.

NEVER EVER use Windows based @BIOS

When you solve this problem, look into the Express Recovery solution from Gigabyte, it will save you some headaches later.
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones

4. Default

So I unplugged the main HDD with the OS on it, and it started loading the CDrom with Windows on it. Then it said some error about not being able to load the software and now it won't even load from the Windows disk again. And then I tried accessing the bios and the bios screen was blank. There were no options in it, sometimes it won't even load the Bios it will freeze at the gigabyte mobo screen. Do I have some sort of hard ware problem? And I don't have a USB stick at my parents house...I dk why. I have to go get one...I'm tired of this bullshit. Oh and my Cmos battery only has 2 prongs beside it...I can't think right now. Anyways can I just take the battery out and it will have the same effect as switching prongs to reset cmos? I dk if that makes sense...

5. Default

It is unknown to me atm if you have a hardware problem or just a corrupt bios. No, battery pulling will not have the same effect on most newer boards, as settings and bins are backed up into non volatile chips, which is what caused your problems to begin with.

Do the hard reset backup procedure that I explained. If this still doesn't work, your going to have to flash a bin from a floppy, usb stick, cd, hdd, or network.

What board do you have? Anywho, yes, those 2 pins should be the cmos clearing pins. It should have a tiny CLR_CMOS written near it (If more than two pins, you short the ones closet to the boldest mark), Turn off PSU or unplug, press the power button a lot to draw out remaining charge, wait 30 seconds, short for about 15 seconds, turn on psu, boot PC.

You may want to replace your CMOS battery...
    Last edited by Steamer; 12-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones

6. Default

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I love you steamer. It worked, turned the power supply off and it restored the corrupt bios. MUAH* I'm so gay for you. such an easy fix.
    )

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

fuck my fucking life, I was updating steam and then it crashed. I'm so pissed...it won't start back up again. It said something about system dumping or I dk...I was just like are you serious when it happened...now I can't get it to start back up. WTF?!?!?!?!?!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Poker$tar$ View Post
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I love you steamer. It worked, turned the power supply off and it restored the corrupt bios. MUAH* I'm so gay for you. such an easy fix.
    )

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

fuck my fucking life, I was updating steam and then it crashed. I'm so pissed...it won't start back up again. It said something about system dumping or I dk...I was just like are you serious when it happened...now I can't get it to start back up. WTF?!?!?!?!?!
    Wow, see how much time he would have saved if he just did what I said to start with. When you have problems loading your os or get bios errors just reset the cmos. I actually regret not installing a cmos reset switch on my system for all the times I have used that thing.

Also that is interesting the way you do it steamer after needing to reset that dam thing so often I started just flipping the power on the psu off, moving the jumper over, power the system on, and spam the power button a few times, then flip the psu off, then switch the jumper back flip psu on, and boot.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Wow, see how much time he would have saved if he just did what I said to start with. When you have problems loading your os or get bios errors just reset the cmos. I actually regret not installing a cmos reset switch on my system for all the times I have used that thing.

Also that is interesting the way you do it steamer after needing to reset that dam thing so often I started just flipping the power on the psu off, moving the jumper over, power the system on, and spam the power button a few times, then flip the psu off, then switch the jumper back flip psu on, and boot.

Yeah it worked for about 10 minutes and now I can't get it to start back up again. I don't have a cmos jumper, all I have are 2 prongs. I can't get it to freaking start back up again.................................gah! I take the battery out, put it back in. plug the power back in, flip the PSU off, spam the power button, flip psu back on and try and boot. nothing happens. Am I doing this wrong? WTF did I do the first time to work and why the hell did my computer crash?

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

I don't see how it could be a hardware problem. I left it sitting for a few months, that's all. It just crashed randomly when I tried to open up google chrome, I know the program is not relevant. How do I get her rolling again? so sad, what a tease. I was so pumped to whoop some ass in WCS and GG

have you tried hitting it with a hammer?
    Personal reform

10. Default

Unplug PSU, spam power button to remove remaining power, next you have to keep the power button held in until it powers up and down when ya plug in the psu.
    This doesn't clear cmos, it loads the backup bios from your second bios chip.

Do that procedure, then make sure it loads and post's, manual shutdown, unplug PSU, spam power button again, wait 30 seconds, next take something conductive (be it a flathead, wire, w/e) and short the 2 pins for 15 seconds, boot pc normally, unshort. reboot.

Pulling the battery on these boards alone is not enough.

You may have held the button in the way you were suppose to the first time.

Seriously get another CMOS battery.

That blue screen may be a RAM error... Video ram or internal... Which would also kind of explain the problem.

Gigabyte boards are fucking finicky. The power switch on the psu works also lol. The whole process is just a failsafe. I do it the "unsafe" and "unrecommended" way myself lol. Hell, I even done it powered up and booted before, while shutting the psu off. xD I failed to mention unshort and reboot in my last post. oops... lmao
    Last edited by Steamer; 12-27-2011 at 04:01 PM.