Thread: DEMO help

1. Default DEMO help

Okay so I feel a bit embarrassed for asking this, but what exactly are these DEMO files? What do you need to run them? What do you need to record them? It's a bit important, too!

2. Default

Who wants to write up a detailed explanation? I only now the basics myself.
    -MBP

3. Default

the syntax for recording a demo in game is:

record "filename"

Type this in console.

This will record a demo with the filename:

filename.dem

to replay the demo you simply type (in console):

playdemo "filename.dem"

hit shift+F2 to display the demo controls

demos are used in competition to ensure that a player is not cheating or otherwise gaining an unfair advantage. Another use for them is for admins on a public server to demo a player if they suspect they are cheating. Some good players demo themselves so that they have proof that they don't cheat whenever they are accused.

recap:

record "filename"-----> records the demo
    playdemo "filename.dem" ------>plays recorded demo

demos are stored in the
    C:\programfiles\valve\steam\steamapps\"your username here"\counter-strike source\cstrike

you can download demos posted on forums into the above directory and view them once you launch CS:S by going into the console and using the playdemo command.

Note, the parentheses I show above in the console commands are not neccessary for the filename unless the filename contains spaces. It's easier to just not use spaces.

Any questions?

4. Default

Another interesting feature used to see if a player is wall hacking in a demo is to type the following commands in console after the demo starts playing:

sv_cheats 1
    mat_wireframe 1

The second command turns on neon blue wireframes and shows players as if you were watching the demo and wallhacking. you can see players and everything through the walls.

5. Default

Thanks Rico!

6. Default

I think he was looking for what they are not how they are used...

A demo file: Is a recording of a video game using that games integrated recording system. This is not to be confused with a video as a demo is more like a saved game file. When you watch a demo you must have the map that the demo was played on and you actually load all the data from the demo.

As a result to record a demo you need any modern game.

To watch a demo you simply need that same game and the correct map.

7. Default

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated!