Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Layout of New Site

1. Lightbulb Layout of New Site

After the success of the banner project I have decided that having more community based projects is a good idea. Therefore, I believe that the best way to make the new website so that everyone in the community loves it is to have everyone in the community help design it. I will still be doing all the programing but I want all of you to, one step at a time, to build the website that you want IBIS to have! The way it will work is that over time I will make threads like this one looking for layouts and then for a theme ideas. When it is all said and done we will have a fully working website!

So here is what you need to know to help out:

• Make an image file of your idea for the new home page.
    • In that image file use colored blocks to represent the location of different material on the page (block details below).
    • Make the page to actual size of the areas.
    • Ensure that the banner space fits out official logo shown below (it is ok to make it smaller/bigger)

Block Details; Each section needs to be represented. Below is a list of the different content sections of the home page please include all of them in your layout:

• Banner
    • Nav
    • Search
    • Articles
    • Latest Forum Posts
    • Server Status
    • Advert Space

Please use the colors listed above so that we know what sections are what.

I would like to thank you all for your support of IBIS Gaming and I hope that together we can build an amazing new website

Attached is an example of my current layout blocked out:
    Last edited by ZERO; 08-23-2009 at 12:32 PM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    • Banner
    • Nav
    • Search
    • Articles
    • Latest Forum Posts
    • Server Status
    • Advert Space

Those colors are ugly imo. Do we want a rainbow on our page?
    -MBP

3. Default

i guess zero does

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig <ibis> View Post
    Those colors are ugly imo. Do we want a rainbow on our page?
    See edited first post
    Last edited by ZERO; 08-23-2009 at 12:33 PM.

5. Default

just to contribute b/c i'm not too skilled with design, coding or breathing in general.... 50 Great Websites. Maybe some inspiration for you people.

small suggestion...
    maybe adding a nav button 'About Us' into the mix.

I know that when I first came to the site I clicked on 'server' 'stats' 'admin' before going to the forums where I really had to spend a bit of time to get the general idea of the community. I actually only just found out that you had a GG and pub server two days ago and I just learned what a WCS server was yesterday after googling it and watching a few utube video.

having an 'about us' button would have made it a bit easier for me to get a general idea of the people and the servers. Gotta cater to the complete noobs too.

On another note:
    ZClass descriptions somewhere. This is totally me wanting to be spoiled, but i'm sure that at least a few other nub prolly feel the same way. On the homepage or the forums. I know it's accessable in-game, but really, I didn't want to take the time to go afk while in game to read up on it. Iwould have liked to do it when I'm not gaming or at work. Lets me sit and think about what's good for what situation/maps.
    Last edited by yours' truely; 08-23-2009 at 01:39 PM.

6. Default

Good ideas, those however are content based issues that could be easily incorporated at a later stage. Right now lets just try to nail down a basic layout for a home page. Also thanks for that link, it should come in handy!

Also keep in mind that I want the new site to be more article focused. This is because I am going to be regularly publishing articles on the website that you would find on computer/gaming news sites. However, all content will be original not some rss re-post. I have a lot of knowledge about the tech industry and about things like anime that I would like to share with you all though regular articles on the main site. Also in the future I hope to even offer money for people to write articles for the site.

Ok here is my first new idea:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ZERO; 08-23-2009 at 02:28 PM.

7. Default

Try to remember that right now we are just trying to come up with where content should be so that it can be easily accessed by the user. After we nail down where the stuff goes we can then work on what it should look like.

8. Default

Here is my first attempt. Instead of an actual banner I just included the logo with a gradient black and white background.
    Attached Images

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Here is my first attempt. Instead of an actual banner I just included the logo with a gradient black and white background.
    That's enough to make me laugh. In a good way I mean.

What's with the hair loss ads?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jeimuzu View Post
    That's enough to make me laugh. In a good way I mean.

What's with the hair loss ads?
    I just put in a standard advertisement.