Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bandwidth limitations?

Default Bandwidth limitations?

So i recently let my new roomate borrow my comp if he would fix it up and format win7 on ity, well now he has it running, he left it on today when he was gone, and it being MY computer i helpwd my self to it and saw he had like 5 browers open and like 6 tabs in each one all of like face book chat and every other networking site you can think of, so i tured it off and that immediatly put my ping from 800 to 60.

is there a way to limit it? or like silently disconnect him from the router without changing the password for the router.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_MikeyRevile View Post
    So i recently let my new roomate borrow my comp if he would fix it up and format win7 on ity, well now he has it running, he left it on today when he was gone, and it being MY computer i helpwd my self to it and saw he had like 5 browers open and like 6 tabs in each one all of like face book chat and every other networking site you can think of, so i tured it off and that immediatly put my ping from 800 to 60.

is there a way to limit it? or like silently disconnect him from the router without changing the password for the router.
    There should be an option to temporarily disable your router. You could always try turning off the wifi button on your laptop and hope that he's too stupid to notice and claim you don't know why it's not working.

If you were a beautiful sound in the echos all around, I'd be your harmony.

i use wireless though lol

4. Default

i use wireless though lol
    ohh 0.o. Hrm. nevermind

If you were a beautiful sound in the echos all around, I'd be your harmony.

5. Default

Stomp his face in.

Problem solved, please close thread.

6. Default

Hmm you mean from his PC or yours laptop??.... yes you can restrict his internet access or make him not get on sites during certain times of the day.... Just depending on the features of the router is what all you can do...... If you router has QoS you can also throttle the bandwidth to your favor. Where you get priority over him with your bandwidth.

7. Default

...don't let him use your comp.

problem solved.

or, make your account an administrator account5, and his...not. then limit the fuck out of his account
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

8. Default

Mikey,

I'll quotemyself here. really this article talks about throttling bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by yours' truely View Post
    well, if you'd like to still throttle any rommates internet.. as long as you have access to the router...
    Install Tomato and become god, this is a Maximum PC how-to article

Just briefly scanned through it, may take some trial and error, but i'm assuming that it wouldn't take long to figure it out.

9. Default

There is something else going on to make your ping that high, it doesnt matter how many tabs you have open they run off of the ram beacuse those pages should not be using bandwidth, You throtle whenever you change pages of course but even on social networking this should not make you get 800 ping, sound more like he was uploading something to youtube or god bless you, torrenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

Quote Originally Posted by StarsMine View Post
    There is something else going on to make your ping that high, it doesnt matter how many tabs you have open they run off of the ram beacuse those pages should not be using bandwidth, You throtle whenever you change pages of course but even on social networking this should not make you get 800 ping, sound more like he was uploading something to youtube or god bless you, torrenting.
    so having the instant messenger services all running for 8 different sites wouldnt throttle