Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: True ram used

1. Question True ram used

Does anyone TRULY know the max amount of RAM used in the most demanding situation/game/etc that there is today?

Discuss plz as I'm ordering more ATM......

PS-- I don't need to see the matrix for allowable RAM for the different windows application -- I have Win 7 Pro and can use up to 192 gigs but that is NOT my question
    Last edited by DeadEyeDeNNi$; 11-18-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    One cannot improve if they cannot see their mistakes!

If you can't do it right, Don't bother!

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

2. Default

Right about now, 4 GiB is about what you can justify putting in your machine if the most memory-intensive task you perform is playing games. Unless you have a specific need for more memory, or you multitask heavy applications alongside playing games, using 4 GiB of high-throughput RAM will serve you better than using 8 GiB of average specification RAM. Buying RAM is usually a spend-as-you-need-it deal. Save for the industry messing up their demand expectations, and raw material prices fluctuating, the prices are always on a downward slope, so buying 4 GiB of good RAM now, and another 4 GiB of identical RAM two years down the road when you can put it to use makes the most sense.

3. Default

uh... chess programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

4. Default

Nah, I'm either going 8 gigs of 9-9-24 or 16g 9-9-24

Still up in the air as I wanna get a matched set up front

Prolly going either Corsar, Mushin, or G Skill - 4x2x2

got 6 atm and want more than I need now to make sire they're matched for the future upgrades

PS- any takers on 3 stix of Kingston 2gig 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333?

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

5. Default

What are you doing to warrant putting 16, or even just 8 GiB of RAM in your machine?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Frufflebottoms View Post
    What are you doing to warrant putting 16, or even just 8 GiB of RAM in your machine?
    The games of today are pretty hard on most of the components of a pc and I have my main box that has 8 gigs and see a noticeble difference in seamless transitions when either going from one zone, next area, crowded areas with online gaming, etc so I am going to bring my new laptop up to at least that level and want matched because as u know it peforms better.

It also develops less stress on the cpu trying to compensate for what the RAM should be handling in the 1st place.

PS- any takers on 3 stix of Kingston 2gig 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333? -- Matched

DeadEyeDeNNi$ <ibis.a>

7. Default

Apparently I don't have enough ram to use Vegas Video Editor HD.. It doesn't seem to let me render videos without cutting off half way saying all the memory is used, despite having task manager open and only half is used. 4 GB of ddr3 ram just isn't enough I guess.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyeDeNNi$ View Post
    The games of today are pretty hard on most of the components of a pc and I have my main box that has 8 gigs and see a noticeble difference in seamless transitions when either going from one zone, next area, crowded areas with online gaming, etc so I am going to bring my new laptop up to at least that level and want matched because as u know it peforms better.

It also develops less stress on the cpu trying to compensate for what the RAM should be handling in the 1st place.
    I don't know what you mean by the CPU compensating for what the RAM is supposed to be handling, unless you're talking about writing to a page file. In which games are you seeing a performance boost by using 8 GiB, rather than 4 GiB of memory, and how much memory is the process using for that to make sense? I don't recall ever seeing a game with a functioning main process eating up more than 2.5 GiB of memory.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Frufflebottoms View Post
    I don't know what you mean by the CPU compensating for what the RAM is supposed to be handling, unless you're talking about writing to a page file. In which games are you seeing a performance boost by using 8 GiB, rather than 4 GiB of memory, and how much memory is the process using for that to make sense? I don't recall ever seeing a game with a functioning main process eating up more than 2.5 GiB of memory.
    I have 6 gigs and isnt nearly enough. My thing is I usually have skype, css, steam, eve online, firefox with around 30 tabs, megaupload, and maybe a few others i forgot to mention running all at the same time.

"lol.. im surprised no one has called hacks on me recently....i have gotten better" - Perry

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jssaylor2007 View Post
    I have 6 gigs and isnt nearly enough. My thing is I usually have skype, css, steam, eve online, firefox with around 30 tabs, megaupload, and maybe a few others i forgot to mention running all at the same time.
    That's to be expected, though. That falls under the heavy multitasking provisions above.