Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Save the Internet!

1. Default Save the Internet!

This explains it: http://www.theopeninter.net/

This gives you ideas of what you can do: http://www.savetheinternet.com/resources

A friend wanted me to post this.

Oh, and Obama helping is full of sh*t. He's supporting a law that weakens net neutrality.
    Last edited by Jeimuzu; 12-30-2010 at 01:18 AM.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

2. Default

I heard about this, corporations/america is so corrupt.

3. Default

If this happens im heading over to asia where internet isn't a problem at least with money...
    nuff said.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    - Jeff Cooper

4. Default

Yea unfortunately having the gov increase regulation over the internet will not help any of us. Especially as we have seen over the last few decades they care nothing to actually solve problems but just increase their own power at our expense and freedom under the guise of helping us. If you want to stop the problem of companies being able to screw over their customers then you simply need to increase the number of competitors. It is the government that created this problem by making it so that in many states and cities there is only one cable internet provider who is granted a "legal" monopolization over service. Well when they are the only provider (no dsl and other shit that is 20% as fast does not count) they can do whatever the fuck they want.

The point is that real business and capitalism works government solutions to problems nearly always fail or make the problem worse and or create new problems worse than the original. While I am worried about them trying to charge me for shit I already pay for I wonder why they have not been able to do this already. If they really were so evil and just wanted our money then why wait. Why have they not done this already. Well because although they do in many cases have a monopolization over service in particular areas it is only temporary, the local government can tell them to gtfo if they get pissed off. So in other words the reason we have not seen this yet and the reason we likely never will is because the customers though their local government will make them gtfo and replace them with a different corporation. In fact the entire problem can be avoided by altering the contract between the local government granting the service rights to declare that it is not allowed to charge users differently based on the types of data they transmit over the network.
    Last edited by ZERO; 12-30-2010 at 12:00 PM.

5. Default

Actually I just found the solution. If the local contract that the individual local governments right up contain a clause that does not allow the isp to charge based on the type of data then the problem is solved. We also do not need any new spending or bureaucracy to enforce it as like now any problems would be handled in court. I am going to study this method further when I get back from vacation but I am convinced that this will be the best way to solve the net neutrality problem permanently.

6. Default

Yea I made some calls and the current franchise agreements for these providers ALREADY prevent them from being able to charge based on the type of data. For them to charge for these things it requires Government approval from the commission that handles the franchisee agreement. So currently the only thing they could try to do it limit bandwidth on some traffic if the current franchise agreement does not cover it.

7. Default

That's Corporate America for ya. Sadly.... It's a little too late. With COICA on the fringe and the recent bouts of DNS seizures, things don't look very good.

Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones

8. Default

well hell Canada isnt to far off from me and there is less darkies there so i think i would just move there.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by taz1stP View Post
    well hell Canada isnt to far off from me and there is less darkies there so i think i would just move there.
    I won't allow this.
    Fear is a Liar.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    I won't allow this.
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones