Thread: Optimize Gaming Experience By Defragmenting Game Cache Files

1. Lightbulb Optimize Gaming Experience By Defragmenting Game Cache Files

So I'm trying to think of how to contribute to the community when the answer was in front of me the whole time, make and post tutorials. I've done this a few times on my own site so I figured it was a good place to start. This tutorial will walk you through the steps for defragmenting game cache files on Steam so they are optimized for a better gaming experience.

STEP 1

Run Steam.

STEP 2

defrag-1.jpg

Go to the Library screen.

STEP 3

defrag-2.jpg

Right click your game of choice in the left. The example shown here is for Counter-Strike.

STEP 4

Click on Properties.

STEP 5

defrag-3.jpg

Go to the Local Files tab then click on Defragment Cache Files.

STEP 6

defrag-4.jpg

Let it run through the defrag process.

STEP 7

defrag-5.jpg

You're done! I hope you found this helpful if you didn't already know how to defrag game cache files.

ëM┼Γö ⌊ibis.a⌉ ♑
    \m/(>_<)\m/

2. Default

To bad i already know this.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo :D View Post
    To bad i already know this.
    Well, maybe I'll end up making one for something you didn't know about.
    ëM┼Γö ⌊ibis.a⌉ ♑
    \m/(>_<)\m/

4. Default

Defrag your entire disk too as this really helps overall. In addition you can improve map download speed if you have a faster cpu or hdd. How? Well the maps are bz2 files which get decompressed on the fly after you dl them. As you dl them very fast you can be speeding up to 50% of the time decompressing if your cpu or hdd is slow. I do not believe multicore will help it is all about raw speed. So like I always try to stress the good old days of focusing on raw thread speed above all else is still a very important part of every day life for gamers.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Defrag your entire disk too as this really helps overall. In addition you can improve map download speed if you have a faster cpu or hdd. How? Well the maps are bz2 files which get decompressed on the fly after you dl them. As you dl them very fast you can be speeding up to 50% of the time decompressing if your cpu or hdd is slow. I do not believe multicore will help it is all about raw speed. So like I always try to stress the good old days of focusing on raw thread speed above all else is still a very important part of every day life for gamers.
    Actually, multi-core does help. I often notice that I"m the first person to get into a new map that has to be downloaded with my hexicore processor. And normally there's 2-4 seconds before anybody else gets in after me.

6. Default

I defrag based on file access/modification over all drives. Then defrag cache on steam.

A mix of raw power and multi core / thread processing is great. This is usually why a 3.8 duo will kill a quad + 3.0 or 4.5 single as far as gaming goes. Things are getting better and better for multi core processing as time goes on, just like most other tech. I remember when I was super annoyed when main stream archiving had yet to have multi core support and I had a multi core processor.

It's an illusion Dis... a god damn illusion!
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones