Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Admins Beware

1. Default Admins Beware

Lately in the cheatscene some pro hackers has released a hack that allows a mic spammer or an EXTREME HACKER to completely replicate the name of admin or any player. (literally identity theft)...

hence DO NOT USE THE ADMIN MENU TO BAN PEOPLE

and do not use the following command to ban

ma_ban 999999999999999999999 (insert name)

but instead do this

1. Type status in to console
    2. Get his or its steam ID... (do memorize the first 4 digits of you're own steam ID it would be helpful) Also please be aware that these fags will most likely be very hard to pin down.. (in most cases it is impossible to ban him/her/it without mistakingly ban someone else..)
    (but if you happen to ban yourself you are an idiot, no offense)

3. Type this command once you have pinned down the hackers steam ID.. an experienced admin would check the steam ID on zmstats or w.e. to see the Steam IDs history to ensure you aren't banning a legit player..
    ma_ban 9999999999999999999999 (insert steam ID)

4. Fin - if all things go to plan.. you have sucessfully banned one of the most difficult type of hackers to ban good job

**ps**

I am writing this thread because one such hacker was on ZM yesterday mic spamming like a fag.. and managed to replicate my name WeeMan | ibis.a using this method, I didn't ban myself and banned the hacker while he was under the name Paul Wall a regular on the server..

I didn't get a demo.. but everyone on the server + Jigsaw can vouch for me ^^
    Ibis Steam Contest #2
    Canceled till further notice

I read people's post purely for amusement I find people's frustration and failure quite funny... after all it's all just a game... you'll die early if you take it too seriously. ^^

Arrogance - only fags and assholes have them... You know who you are.

2. Default

I was there
    If somone IS under your name, admins should ask the non mic spammer to leave, then get the steam ID while they are open, or like Weeman said, check the stats.

Good job
    I fucking love music
    Rip Paul Gray

-----------------------
    Server rules
    TOS
    How to report admin abuse
    How to find hackers

4. Default

You think you got enough digits in that ban time?

5241600 mins is 10 years (1 decade).

I think by the time your ban expires the universe will have imploded, or something..

I'm not even sure if the ban system accepts integers of that size..

5. Default

I need all admins if you could PM me your email address.

I'm working on a list of all the steam ID's of the regs on ZM.

that way you can print it out and have it handy to check against, incase you do run into the problem that weeman posted about.

that way you can ban the correct person and not the wrong one.

it will save you a bunch of time.
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

6. Default

ma_admins?

Seems a lot easier.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    ma_admins?

Seems a lot easier.
    ma_admin only gives up a list of the current admins on the server when you enter that command into console!!!!

jesus christmas get with the program.

sb_status gives you the name and steam ID of every player in the server at that time as well.

but if you had a hard copy of a list of the names and steam ID's of all the regs, it would be alot easier to find out who was the real person and who was copying that person's name.

how about you stick to the banners and I'll help solve this problem lol
    -The enemy of my enemy is my friend-

8. Default

My point is if the "admin's" name doesn't show up then that person obviously is not an admin and their steam id is the right one to ban.
    Last edited by Christmas; 08-03-2009 at 04:10 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    My point is if the "admin's" name doesn't show up then that person obviously is not an admin and their steam id is the right one to ban.
    Thats is correct.

10. Default

It is also noted that by typing ma_admins, they do not provide the steam IDs. But, everyone should be given a hard copy of the list so that way we have all the admin names and their steam ID. I agree we should provide our email addresses (at least I'm giving away my junk mail one which I used to register the forums) just as an authentication or proof of identity.

I do take identity theft quite seriously and I would like a systematic fool-proof way, like how inthebutt is taking the time and effort to provide, so we won't have to be in more potentially worse situations for us when it actually occurs.

Just my two cents on the situation about it.

/Secrest out.