PDA

View Full Version : Downloading

ManBearPig <ibis>
10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Sup guys. So i used to use limewire until about 2 weeks ago it stopped connecting so i couldnt find any songs i was trying to download. I downloaded frostwire and ares also to see if they would work. Nothing has worked, they all have the same connection problem. I thought maybe because im a college network it wont let me, but my roommates dont have any problems with using these programs. I thought it might be a firewall problem, but i turned off my windows firewall and it was still doing it. I dont know what else to do to fix this problem. Anybody use these programs and have any tips for me to fix them? Thanks.

ZERO
10-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I would avoid using any of them as they are slow and can be easily traced. If you want to transfer data safely and quickly torrent is the way to go.

loka
10-20-2009, 11:36 PM
if your using school internet i wouldn't use any at all to be honest. i always waited until i got home to download music anyways since the IT guys would get a message about illegal downloading from the recording industry and find the student(s) who were downloading the content.

ManBearPig <ibis>
10-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Fuck. Well it just started working. My school just sets a download limit, if you dont go over i dont think they care much.

Jeimuzu
10-21-2009, 01:22 AM
I agree with Zero..

Limewire itself is a virus I tell you..

Steamer
10-21-2009, 02:55 AM
It's all traceable... But torrenting is pretty "anonymous" at default comapred to limewire/frostwire. Gnutella is bad...

Sin
10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Download bittorrent. And then download utorrent. And then download shit off of mininova.org

Even if you don't have your ports forwarded, as long as whatever you're trying to download has a decent amount of seeders, then they should go pretty fast.

Holy-Sonic
10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Download bittorrent. And then download utorrent. And then download shit off of mininova.org

Even if you don't have your ports forwarded, as long as whatever you're trying to download has a decent amount of seeders, then they should go pretty fast.

you could go to mininova.org or you can go to thepiratebay.org

Sin
10-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't listen to Sonic. PirateBay is horrid.

Steamer
10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Don't listen to Sonic. PirateBay is horrid.

Damn sell outs...

Christmas
10-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Takes days to download anything substantial.

I love Ares simply because I can get a good set of songs in minutes.

Do they even track Ares downloaders anymore? It was a big thing a couple years ago but it kinda fell apart.

Steamer
10-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Particular programs aren't tracked.... It's the networks they run off of.

Sin
10-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Takes days to download anything substantial.

I love Ares simply because I can get a good set of songs in minutes.

Do they even track Ares downloaders anymore? It was a big thing a couple years ago but it kinda fell apart.

If it's taking you days to download something, then it's a problem either on your end or your choice in torrent download.

www.portforward.com - Excellent source. Make sure you set up a STATIC IP!!!! IMPORTANT!!

Make sure you have the right ports forwarded. Ares and all the other P2P Programs are the same way. If you want faster download speeds then you'll need to open up the specific port that the program is trying to access (which you can set yourself, or choose a random one).

The way torrents work is simple. You have your "local" and "remote" sources for download. As you know, you don't download a complete file from one source/person, only increments. If your ports aren't open, then you only have access to the "local" sources. Whereas if you did open them, you'd gain access to the "remote" sources.

If you already know all of that, and you're still having fairly slow download speeds off of torrents, then you have a shitty ISP, for which I apologize. T_T

Steamer
10-22-2009, 01:06 PM
I honestly prefer "direct" methods and private sites/trackers myself.

Sin
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I honestly prefer "direct" methods and private sites/trackers myself.

DC is awesome on college campuses.

Steamer
10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Haha, I bet it is. Wouldn't mind a 100/100+ connection home =\.

Sin
10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Who would? Shit's not fair. q_q

Steamer
10-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Well I could soon have 100+/25 home, but the shit is rediculously expensive. =\