PDA

View Full Version : "Famous/Meaningful Quotes"

mag36
07-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Ok Ive heard someone tried this before but it didn't take off, but I'm willing to try it again.

Rules
First: You post three to five "quotes" that you find and like or remember.
Second: Not all quotes meanings are clear. They may have a different message to poeple, so you may reiterate what you think the quote means to you.
Third: Try not to bash other peoples quotes.

1. "When life gives you a hundred reason to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile." -unknown-
Answer: Should be easy "There's always a reason to be happy even if you have so many to be sad"

2. "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr Seuss-
Answer: Don't listen to what general people think and cater to them? You real friends matter and they will like you for who you really are.

3. "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us." -Alexander Graham Bell-
Answer: We dwell so much on past things when we should be moving on.

4. "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." -unknown-
Answer: You can judge a real person by how they treats someone without expecting anything in return

** This one is for you, Dennis**
5. "You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old beacause you stop playing" -unknown-
Answer: Self explanatory

Carina
07-09-2010, 04:35 AM
1 . "Love is not what makes the world go around. Love is what makes the trip worthwhile" - Mine

2. "You must not talk ugly about our lack of intelligence. We are proud of it" -Donald Duck

3. "There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way" - Christopher Morley

4. "He who has gold makes and accomplishes whatever he wishes in the world and finally uses it to send souls to paradise" - Christopher Columbus

5. "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln

Kavinsky
07-09-2010, 04:42 AM
1. Life is just a big pufferfish, you just need to learn how to be standing outside the glass laughing in at its pathetic attempts to scare you - me

it means its not as big a deal as it seems and in the light of everything its pretty small and you shouldnt be affraid to just be yourself and embrace the positives and the negatives of it, its called being human and I was the one who came up with it

2. If you want to see what kind of a person a man is, Give him some power.
giving a person power will show you who and what they truly are through the changes in causes in there attitude and there actions with it, after all heinrich himmler was just a simple peaceful pig farmer before the war.

I can think of anything else mag sorry.

DJ_MikeyRevile
07-09-2010, 05:00 AM
1. "Why worry when life's on your side" -Myself-
this gets me threw alot of tasks and goals that seem near to impossible to achieve

2. "Fairness is never equal and equality is never fair" -myself-
In modern day society, its true.

3. "Knowledge comes with the price of time" -unknown-
being on the consent pursuit of knowledge i realize that it will only come through experience, time.

4. "there is only one thief in the military, everyone else is just trying to get there shit back" -military-
most of you wouldnt understand haha

XX0wnsXY
07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
"All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon sand."
-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- Albert Einstein

"It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered."
-- Aeschylus

"Was she so loved because her eyes were so beautiful, or were her eyes so beautiful because she was so loved?"
-- Anzia Yenerska

devour
07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
"it's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. and i'm all out of gum." - the duke

"are you a mexiCAN or a mexiCANT?" - sheldon jeffrey sands

acolyte_to_jippity
07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
mine are more dialogues than anything else.

Book: I've been out of the abbey two days, I've beaten a lawman senseless, I've fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong. I believe... I just... I think I'm on the wrong ship.
Inara: Maybe. Or maybe you're exactly where you ought to be.
sometimes, the life you expect, is not the one you're meant for

Simon: I'm trying to put this as delicately as I can...how do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.
Simon: Are you always this sentimental?
Mal: I had a good day.
Simon: You had the Alliance on you, criminals and savages... half the people on the ship have been shot or wounded including yourself, and you're harboring known fugitives.
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.

first part: keep your honnor, it's all you have. second part, take what you can get at the end of the day. nothing else really matters.

Inara: You're always breaking the rules, no matter which society you're in! You don't get along with ordinary criminals either, which is why you're constantly getting in trouble!
Mal: You think following the rules will buy you a nice life, even if the rules make you a slave.
this one's obvious

Rage
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Quotes I live by:

"You can't fix stupid" - Ron White

"Its always funny when its not you" - Myself

And a Sherrif said this to me once when he pulled me over for speeding:

"And what does that have to do with the price of eggs?"

That statement right there literally left me speechless for 5 minutes. He felt so bad for confusing the shit out of me, he let me off rly easy.

Rawr
07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
"For the history of our race, and each individual's experience, are sewn thick with evidences that a truth is not hard to kill, and that a lie well told is immortal." - Mark Twain

"Nobody is taller than the last man standing" - John J Corage

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." - Mark Twain

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education. " - Mark Twain

“Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” - Hemingway

-blink-
07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
1. The pen is mightier than the sword.-Edward Bulwer-Lytton

2.He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.-Jesus Christ

3. The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.-vince lombardi

XxMastagunzxX
07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
"Who the fuck said that?"-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Clone
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and im all outta bubble gum"- Rowdy Roddy Piper in "They Live"
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp_K8prLfso&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp_K8prLfso&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

"To Do a Barrel Roll" - Peppy Hare
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mv5qzMtLE60&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mv5qzMtLE60&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Clone

Kavinsky
07-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Typical fucking clone, oh well it was getting too serious anyways.

qnclV6xlqYI

at 0:27 best quote ever, I just love how nonchalant he is after getting shot at with a shotgun

RMkXY6MN96E

I lied.

uuntiltheendd
07-10-2010, 11:39 AM
+1 to masta and +1 to clone lolol

"if the futures been drawn out, theres no point in living." song lyrics
"ironically, individuality is not a trait shared by everybody." saw this in a magazine for a camel ad lol
"you cannot escape reality's trials with a simple prayer." song lyrics

loka
07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
What makes me smile is anothers misfortune
I like to see your body in flames scortchin'
I like to see a part of your brain auctioned
I like to see inside of your main organs
I like to see inside of your veins pourin'
I find beauty in anothers pain
I find beauty in the spirit of god but I don't fuckin' change
I find serenity in torture
JMT

"What's the difference between a white kid and a minority? One knows how to mind their fucking business while the other doesn't know when to shut the fuck up with no street smarts, respectively." - LLM

DJ_MikeyRevile
07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
its as simple as this

"Carpe Diem" -Horace-

Kavinsky
07-10-2010, 11:44 PM
You always seem to have something cynical to say loka, just saying.

Christmas
07-10-2010, 11:50 PM
tKYJLfWqTBY

"We're all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope. But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function. Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse. All war depends upon it."

uuntiltheendd
07-11-2010, 01:50 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/11fyIHjghcY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/11fyIHjghcY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
"ill whip ya head boy." 50 cent
^that scene (and whole movie) was awesome.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6csp2fZt2E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f6csp2fZt2E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
"mhmmm. this is a tasty burger."

ZERO
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Charlie Don't Surf!
aLEjr4eg8rA

Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it. -Milton Friedman

A small leak can sink a great ship. -Benjamin Franklin

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -Benjamin Franklin

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good. -George Washington

cum grano salis -Unknown

Kavinsky
07-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Christmas I dont think many soldiers thought that way back then on the german lines, if any and that mindset is too cold and modern.

After all remember the tale of what happened during one of the christmas's of WW1 and I remember reading in Günther Rall's autobiography (RIP OCT 09 age 91) they used to make sure the american pilots got out and SURVIVED once they shot them down.

not many if any people were looking for bloodshed towards the end of the war in the german populace, the new german hello/goodbye was switched by most people from heil hitler to überleben Sie (survive!) they also tried to kill hitler themselves and were planning to surrender germany peacefully in 44 if it had worked.

It wasn't like they were dealing with the japanese where that would have been an appropriate mindset to deal with there samurai like training on Iwo Jima and no surrender mentality which 2 nukes finally solved, hell when you come right down to it he seems like a WW2 version of Agent 47 there.

also thats supposed to help him deal with his fear and his guilt conscience of not helping his unit and killing someone who probably has a family waiting at home as well? that is probably one of the worst things you could tell someone like that and it could possibly lead up to a private pyle kind of situation with the wrong guy.

Christmas
07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Christmas I dont think many soldiers thought that way back then on the german lines, if any and that mindset is too cold and modern.

After all remember the tale of what happened during one of the christmas's of WW1 and I remember reading in Günther Rall's autobiography (RIP OCT 09 age 91) they used to make sure the american pilots got out and SURVIVED once they shot them down.

not many if any people were looking for bloodshed towards the end of the war in the german populace, the new german hello/goodbye was switched by most people from heil hitler to überleben Sie (survive!) they also tried to kill hitler themselves and were planning to surrender germany peacefully in 44 if it had worked.

It wasn't like they were dealing with the japanese where that would have been an appropriate mindset to deal with there samurai like training on Iwo Jima and no surrender mentality which 2 nukes finally solved, hell when you come right down to it he seems like a WW2 version of Agent 47 there.

also thats supposed to help him deal with his fear and his guilt conscience of not helping his unit and killing someone who probably has a family waiting at home as well? that is probably one of the worst things you could tell someone like that and it could possibly lead up to a private pyle kind of situation with the wrong guy.

I didn't say soldiers thought that way, Kavinsky.

Kavinsky
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
The clip implies that the soldiers did and I just wanted to say that is defintely not the way they would have acted back then, not unless that particular soldiers gone crazy

frankly it sounds like some typical hollywood tought guy crap they put in that was probabaly at odds with what was written by stephen ambrose in the first place.

and having family that fought on both sides of that conflict that lived through it, being told of them and there exploits it just really rubbed me wrong.

Christmas
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
The clip implies that the soldiers did and I just wanted to say that is defintely not the way they would have acted back then, not unless that particular soldiers gone crazy

frankly it sounds like some typical hollywood tought guy crap they put in that was probabaly at odds with what was written by stephen ambrose in the first place.

and having family that fought on both sides of that conflict that lived through it, being told of them and there exploits it just really rubbed me wrong.

It doesn't imply shit except that Ronald Speirs was a Grade A badass.

Go and read about him. I'm sure you will agree.

Also I doubt Ambrose had a serious issue with it considering he was right there when BoB was in production.

Holy-Sonic
07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
"no one can make you inferior without your consent" Eleanor Roosevelt
"Live to the fullest because you can only use it once" Me
"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." Mother Teresa