PDA

View Full Version : Gore Mod causing intense lag

Jorfnar
07-30-2010, 04:30 AM
I would like to start a petition to have Gore Mod removed, as there are a large group of us without top-end computers that would like to be able to keep playing at the Ibis GunGame.

The lag kicks in the moment someone gets headshot for the first time after a mapchange, then it just escalates from there on out.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is specifically with gungame, but I have no issues on the Pub server. I just feel that GunGame would be much smoother without the use of Gore Mod, as it is a fast-paced game mode, and would benefit from simplicity.

Thanks.

Perry
07-30-2010, 05:02 AM
or....you upgrade your shit and be happy.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-30-2010, 08:50 AM
or....you upgrade your shit and be happy.

fuck you perry.

the gore mod has to either go or be reduced substantially. it blows ass the way it is now. makes the game look like a fucking joke.

Mrs. Xen_Warrior
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
yeah I agree ever since it was put in I get massive lag spikes and it just looks horrible. Even if your in water for too long and it starts to do damage to you the blood starts splurting.

taz1stP
07-30-2010, 09:42 AM
it doesn't do anything for me works fine i think they just need to get a better comp.

Mrs. Xen_Warrior
07-30-2010, 10:23 AM
it doesn't do anything for me works fine i think they just need to get a better comp.

How old does your computer have to be to not run CSS?

My pc is only a couple months old I doubt I need to get a better one.

BladeTwinSwords
07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I've fallen from like 3 feet and I end up leaving a trail of blood for people to find me.

Perry
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Ok i can make the joke. you can go fuck yourself. No one likes you. please jump off a bridge into oncoming traffic.

Jorfnar
07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Would rather keep this clean and without conflict from people that are not regulars of the GunGame server.

I actually very much doubt that it is a hardware issue on my end... as I play at a public gaming center with very high-end computers that, until the recent addition of Gore Mod, have not had any issues with even games such as MW2 and Left 4 Dead 2 at full graphics capacity.

It's a glitch.

Perry
07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
i am a regular, and yes I know what you mean, sometimes the gore does lag a bit..but other than that I havent seen any problems.

acolyte_to_jippity
07-30-2010, 02:30 PM
i think it's les gore mod making you lag, and more valve's bi-nightly updates.

but it still looks retarded

Rated EC-10
07-31-2010, 04:56 AM
I do think it is the gore mod, and the problem isn't specific to "low end" computers. It's not a normal frame rate issue that passes. I have clearly noticed it builds up and gets worse as maps go by. Ultimately I have to kill the Source engine and restart it.

It feels very much like a memory leak to me. I suspect that some aspect of the gore mod isn't cleaning up after itself, so every one of those deaths leaves garbage that doesn't go away until you restart the game.

In this case, having a high end computer would allow you to go longer before it became a problem, but ultimately the problem would bring it down too.

Christmas
07-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Sorry I think your problems are client-side because not once have I had a problem with the gore mod.

Lern2computer

ZERO
07-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Also gore mod is server side. Yes clients see the effects client side but the weight is on server it is not possible for it to cause a memory leak on a client.

Rated EC-10
08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Also gore mod is server side. Yes clients see the effects client side but the weight is on server it is not possible for it to cause a memory leak on a client.

That would be true if the server were just streaming out video. BUT... the mod causes operations on the client and engages source program code. Now, if the mod engages features of source that are buggy, or uses addresses poorly coded portions on a scale that's larger than usual for source, you could see a problem you wouldn't otherwise.

Fact is, when I log on after 3 games I see significant issues that aren't mirrored in my ping or my framerate as displayed. When I log out, close source, and log back in DURING THE SAME MATCH the issue is gone. Maybe we are talking about 2 unrelated problems here, or maybe there is something that's only impacting specific hardware or OS setups of myself and maybe others. I do know it was post update when it started so occam's razor is part of this.

That said, I am going to pull and reinstall the game on my pc, and see if redownloading takes care of it, if not try a different vid card and drivers. While I could be seeing something unique to my own system hearing others complaints does make me suspect a common issue.

ZERO
08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Except that those complaints are unique to the people from gg. If it was an issue it would be seen across all servers, not just gg and especially in zm where it is turned way up. In addition other server owners running the mod would have the same problem.

Kavinsky
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Listen its not helping anyones frame rate in gg in additon to the maps themselves because of the update upping the graphics and slowing everyones frame rate down on them

and it does cause intermediate lag when combined with that so it does need to be removed or greatly reduced with very little blood splatter.

ZERO
08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I will look into modifying some of the setting when I get back.

ZERO
08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Although I still plan to make changes to it the lag should be gone due to sv_forcepreload 1 being set. With it set to 0 slow computer "should" lag the first time there is blood such as on the first HS.

A Baby
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't say gore mod causes lag, I don't have any issues with lag or fps lag. The gore mod though seems to have caused a ton of choke. I have had times where the choke has reached 60 - and yes my rates are set perfectly. It never had this much choke when there wasn't gore mod. So, I am assuming it has to be some-what related to the mod. Maybe I am incorrect, although, I don't see anything wrong on my side; rates are set correctly, internet connection has no loss, 50Mbps download connection with maybe 1ms jitter. I dunno, I am just saying I wouldn't mind seeing gore mod removed.

hallwagner
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't say gore mod causes lag, I don't have any issues with lag or fps lag. The gore mod though seems to have caused a ton of choke. I have had times where the choke has reached 60 - and yes my rates are set perfectly. It never had this much choke when there wasn't gore mod. So, I am assuming it has to be some-what related to the mod. Maybe I am incorrect, although, I don't see anything wrong on my side; rates are set correctly, internet connection has no loss, 50Mbps download connection with maybe 1ms jitter. I dunno, I am just saying I wouldn't mind seeing gore mod removed.

yea i also find it distracting as hell seeing people fucking explode. i need to concentrate during gg, and gore mod does not help at all with that

Jorfnar
08-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Although I still plan to make changes to it the lag should be gone due to sv_forcepreload 1 being set. With it set to 0 slow computer "should" lag the first time there is blood such as on the first HS.

I'm still having severe lag after playing more than 2 maps in a row. My computer is rather high-end, and I am not new to building my own rigs. Not sure what else to tell you, but I had no issues prior to the installation of Gore Mod. Unless you modified something besides that on the server's settings, that's the only source I can identify.

I'm just asking for a little vote about it. It's not a necessity gameplay-wise, and is more problematic than it's worth.

I know all server-based decisions are going to be determined by Zero, and it's not a democratic process, but it would be nice to be able to play at my favorite Gungame server more than 30 minutes a day.

boomer0901
08-17-2010, 08:45 AM
agreed with Jorf, no one wants the gore mod, have yet to listen to anyone on GG that likes it, why keep it, just because it's cool??

If it aint broke, don't fix it, server was fine as it was.

At least take a vote on whether or not to keep it.

Christmas
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't see how goremod is making you people lag.

I never lag on gg except for at the end of the round or at other random times, which isn't often.

A Baby
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't see how goremod is making you people lag.

I never lag on gg except for at the end of the round or at other random times, which isn't often.

In agreement, I do not see how it is making others lag. Although, on the contrary, the server has become less stable with the introduction of this mod.

So, whether or not it makes you, or I lag; isn't the point. The point is, other people really want it removed; a vote isn't going to hurt. Maybe it's a lot of work for it to be removed, but at least people will be happy with the removal of this mod.

Either way, I agree that it should be taken out; there's my two cents.