PDA

View Full Version : New GG Ranking Option

ZERO
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM
The database that is used for GG ranking is getting out of control. It currently takes up more resources than all of the databases on the server combined. This can not be sustained forever and so I want to try to move us to a new version. However no newer versions have integrated support for gg. I have however devised a loophole that should allow us to still be able to individually track our gg related data as displayed now in the forum integrated images.

This tracking could be done by creating "phantom" weapons in the output that are levelup ect so that they are stored with the number of times they are run. Note that psychostats already can track these events it just does not store how many times you got each one. However it does store how many kills you got with a given weapon so if we put it there we can store it and then just call that data back in a different place. I may be able to make it so it does not show up in the weapons part but it may result in the total kills values getting messed up.

As for ranking, I have devised a formula that outputs close to the ranks we have now and of which I believe is fair in that it ensures that the good players are ranked the highest. Basically items are worth X points and your rank is calculated from that. (basically how it works now)
Let me break it up:
level gained = +1
level given= -1
The idea here is that if you are a good player you should be gaining more levels relative to what others are gaining from you. Basically it rewards a positive long run KDR.
level stolen = +2
level lost = -2
This gives more points for when you steal a level from another player but also takes away as many when yours are stolen.
Wins = +500
Wins Given = -250
You will notice this is the only one that is not exact. This is because wins is really all that matters for gg and currently makes up over 90% of most players current scores. However there should be a loss when they win off you. By making this slightly less the disparage can be made up by having good ratios in other parts of your gg rank.

So what do you all think? This will really help improve website performance in the long run. Prevent me from resetting all gg stats in the long run and will help with people having the glitch where it removes their rank. It also works like the current versions and can remove inactive players while preserving their data for the event of their return.

Tragedy
04-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Seems like a good idea. I am sure some of the elite-regulars won't enjoy it much, but if it helps the overall vitality of our servers, and you think it is a good idea to implement this, then I think you should go for it.

+1

Fluffy Frufflebottoms
04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
It seems like a good idea, assuming that it complements the existing system of adjusting skill on kills and deaths based on the skill of your opponent. You may want think about dividing the win/given win adjustments by 2. As I understand it, the current bonus for a win is 200, and raising that to 500 would considerably widen the gap between the top 10 and the rest of the top 100.

Spasm
04-10-2011, 06:21 AM
It seems like a good idea, assuming that it complements the existing system of adjusting skill on kills and deaths based on the skill of your opponent. You may want think about dividing the win/given win adjustments by 2. As I understand it, the current bonus for a win is 200, and raising that to 500 would considerably widen the gap between the top 10 and the rest of the top 100.

current bonus for a win is 500

Fluffy Frufflebottoms
04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
current bonus for a win is 500

Oh hey, it is. I don't know where I got the 200 from. Carry on, then!

Xerenix
04-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

Joker
04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a decent idea considering that I know people that will stand on someones nades just because they want that specific map to end. This way that still can do that, but they get penalized for it. :wtg:

Good suggestion.

BladeTwinSwords
04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Awww, but I'm almost always the guy who gets naded.

Like it +1.

ZERO
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Actually the current gg rank does NOT base anything off kills or who killed who. Nor is it eol based. While I do not know the exact formula used the developer has explicitly stated that it is based only on the gg in game event triggers. Also the current bonus for a win is 500.

Lastly today I managed to catch the server during a gg update. During the duration of the stats update (which runs every 10min) the server cpu usage was over 200% most of the time and page load times increased from instant to a few seconds to in rare cases timing out. The primary driver of the load was the sql server which was compleatly over loaded during the duration of the update. Once I wrap up the basic works I need to do this week I will be focused on replacing the gg stats with a new one.

ZERO
05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Actual ranking will be:
level gained = +1
level stolen = +2
level down = -2
Wins = +500

This reflects the limitations of the data available. While it would be possible for me to program in new conditions it would not have any back support. Therefore this ranking method should be idea in order to preserve legacy ranks.

It is also possible for me to give points based on team as well. So that if your on the winning team for the gg_win you could get a slight bonus for helping win. This could encourage more team play at the higher levels. Remember too that anything that grants points to a player or team can also take away points from the loser if we so want.

So, just let me know what you all think about that. I just want the ranking system to be able to properly reflect the quality of a player and also encourage the type of game play we want on the server. :wtg:

A Baby
05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
actual ranking will be:
Level gained = +1
level stolen = +2
level down = -2
wins = +500

this reflects the limitations of the data available. While it would be possible for me to program in new conditions it would not have any back support. Therefore this ranking method should be idea in order to preserve legacy ranks.

It is also possible for me to give points based on team as well. So that if your on the winning team for the gg_win you could get a slight bonus for helping win. This could encourage more team play at the higher levels. Remember too that anything that grants points to a player or team can also take away points from the loser if we so want.

So, just let me know what you all think about that. I just want the ranking system to be able to properly reflect the quality of a player and also encourage the type of game play we want on the server. :wtg:

do it!

ZERO
05-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Trying to, well actually I can get it to work from a ranking perspective but there is no way to independently report to you how many times you won or leveled up ect. In order to get support for those features I am trying to hire a programer. So far I have not gotten any offers but I will be pursuing it more aggressively when I am back in GA.