Thread: Gripe Thread - Spidey

East Coast (and that's all I'm tellin' xD)

Default Gripe Thread - Spidey

Note: Didn't want to clutter the race thread in case this gets off topic and/or whiney, which it probably will at points

Spiderman (a.k.a. Spidey) is a very competitive race that lends itself well to covering a lot of terrain in a short amount of time. With the combined benefits of web-shooters acting to hold enemies in place, and spidey sense to evade as much as 30% of the enemy's firepower, a player can easily pick-off opponents. This isn't so bad considering a lace does keep the spidey from webbing away, or various counters (medusa stoning, entangle, bash, etc). The problem comes in when you have an unrestricted team of spideys coming in to lay down fire. None of the mentioned ults - with exception of bash and web-shooters which are attributes really - allows enough time to counter this rushing class. Furthermore, a lace can prove insignificant when faced with a barrage from point blank - you're still gonna get lit up by a p90.

We've put limits on races such as vagalion and vagabond for their rushing capabilities and powerful attributes. It is my opinion that spidey should have similar limit restrictions of 1-2 per team to offer a reasonable cap on such overwhelming capabilities. I would go as far to say that the race could be nerfed a bit, but I know that route is never favored by the community and perhaps it isn't needed. On an additional note, since Athena's ult is already relatively fast (8 sec after round start), can we simply make it available as soon as round starts? Perhaps this would offer a better platform to fight back as well?

Thus concludes my gripe session. Please comment CONSTRUCTIVELY, offering relevant arguments that would support or disagree with both A) Spidey being overpowered in its current state or B) The idea of putting a limit of how many should be available to a team.
    Last edited by Chef C Green; 04-13-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Artist's Representation - "Finding life on the go board"

2. Default

There used to be a 2 per team limit. I would be in favor of reinstating this but since the new Valve update is going to kill the server in a few days... seems superfluous at this point till the server comes back.

Tastes like your moms kisses.

East Coast (and that's all I'm tellin' xD)

Quote Originally Posted by Chikun View Post
    new Valve update is going to kill the server in a few days...
    Oh god... QUICK! BACKUP THE SERVERS! SAVE THE RACES! BATTEN-DOWN-THE-PATCHES!

And just as a heads up; I'm not looking for immediate changes. Rather stimulating discussion so once we have the server back to its original glory - what with race updates and these valve plagues-er updates - we have opinions from the community somewhat outlined.
    Artist's Representation - "Finding life on the go board"

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chef C Green View Post
    Note: Didn't want to clutter the race thread in case this gets off topic and/or whiney, which it probably will at points

Spiderman (a.k.a. Spidey) is a very competitive race that lends itself well to covering a lot of terrain in a short amount of time. With the combined benefits of web-shooters acting to hold enemies in place, and spidey sense to evade as much as 30% of the enemy's firepower, a player can easily pick-off opponents. This isn't so bad considering a lace does keep the spidey from webbing away, or various counters (medusa stoning, entangle, bash, etc). The problem comes in when you have an unrestricted team of spideys coming in to lay down fire. None of the mentioned ults - with exception of bash and web-shooters which are attributes really - allows enough time to counter this rushing class. Furthermore, a lace can prove insignificant when faced with a barrage from point blank - you're still gonna get lit up by a p90.

We've put limits on races such as vagalion and vagabond for their rushing capabilities and powerful attributes. It is my opinion that spidey should have similar limit restrictions of 1-2 per team to offer a reasonable cap on such overwhelming capabilities. I would go as far to say that the race could be nerfed a bit, but I know that route is never favored by the community and perhaps it isn't needed. On an additional note, since Athena's ult is already relatively fast (8 sec after round start), can we simply make it available as soon as round starts? Perhaps this would offer a better platform to fight back as well?

Thus concludes my gripe session. Please comment CONSTRUCTIVELY, offering relevant arguments that would support or disagree with both A) Spidey being overpowered in its current state or B) The idea of putting a limit of how many should be available to a team.
    I'd fully support restricting spiderman to 1 or 2 per team for the same reason that vaga are restricted. I consider spidey the one most powerful race in the hands of average players, even though it's not the most difficult to counter. I wouldn't mind if spidey's evade or webline speed/distance were nerfed a bit, but I don't think it's necessary, especially with the item restrictions already in place on spidey (helm, cloak, etc). But I think roots/medusa are fine as is. Roots/medusa aren't always ready by the time an enemy spiderman can be in your spawn, but wards are--and I typically find that getting teammates to camp spawn for the first 10 secs in anticipation of spidey rush typically works well. The spidey might take out one or two of your team, but it's unlikely they'll be able to take out the entire team, especially seeing that they rush so fast that they usually have no backup.