Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Some admin powers should not be used?

1. Default Some admin powers should not be used?

Hi guys,

Was just wondering I was told by money not to low grav players because it messes up the server.

(I've never seen low grav cause any problems or lead to any crashes)

I have actually heard this from other admins also so I am not doubting money, and I already stopped using low grav. I'm just curious how it messes with the server?

As far as the gameplay, i dont think it affects it, especially if its monitored by the admin. I usually would low grav 3 or 4 people on certain escape maps out of 20. The people would ask me for low grav, it would increase the enjoyment of playing the game for them. I would never low grav zombies, and often when a person with low grav died id set their gravity back to normal. I never noticed the game being harder for zombies. Low grav players would still die, and there would still be about 20 other people who had no grav for zombies to get. Usually low grav players would be busy jumping rather than defending also. When a low grav player was the last one alive it never delayed the game either. But if it did i could just slap them off a high pillar to join the zombies bellow.

Anyway i'm sorry guys, i thought it was all in good fun, didn't know it messes with server.

2. Default

Low gravity/high gravity can mess with the server only because if you set it to low or to high a player will go into "oblivion" and as an end result it crashs the server. So we highly don't recommend using the low grav commands for that reason. If you make the server crash, your admin powers will probably be restricted or have some sort of punishment. We have seen low gravity mess with the server many times by admins who don't know how to properly use it. As a blanket statement we just told everyone not to use it a long time ago.
    Last edited by Joker; 02-01-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebutt View Post
    you all are a bunch oh whiny little bitches..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    0.o.....dem sum fightin wurdz LOL

I am really scared.....You sending Fiona after me? LOL

3. Default

The only alteration I noticed when other admins would make modifications to the Zombie Mod+ server's gravity is on ZM maps. The gravity on objects would be affected, however, it did not happen subsequently. To be more descriptive, a player can shoot vending machines that are laying face down with one bullet, and they will be knocked back a couple of feet away. In other words, one of the ways for humans to be the victor in a ZM map is defeated.

4. Default

I am not sure if it still occurs or not, but when using the rcon command to affect the gravity. It will sometimes affect the object physics on maps afterwards. It can generally be avoided by resetting it back to 800 before the map changes. But once the physics go bad on a map they will stay bad until either a server reset or crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Logically I reserve the right to step in at any time and make a final judgement. Any judgement made by me can only be reversed by me.

Gravity is not allowed for the reasons Joker stated. The server often needs to restart after someone fucks with gravity because it's buggy. If you couple low-grav with parachutes it gets even worse.

Slap is another command that shouldn't be used (frequently). It should only be used to move someone out of the way or as a warning and should never be used to, say, knock someone into an area that would get them killed. 'slap @[Ts/CTs]' and 'slap @all' are completely restricted.

Freeze is pretty much restricted because as a human it prevents you from moving, often resulting in getting tagged, and as a zombie, it prevents you from tagging. The only place I ever use freeze is on Moria to protect Gandalf (and that's only after the bridge has begun to collapse).

Rename is not currently allowed because name changes are permanent (until map change). I wouldn't use this on someone unless you're sure they're okay with it. Even then, use caution.

In essence, use common sense. If it looks like abuse, it probably is.

6. Default

Don't use admin unless it needs to be used. Anything other than necessity is abuse. All in good fun is not a necessity. Read the ToS, clearly you have ignored it.

7. Default

I didn't use rcon, and I only used low grav on certain escape maps, by typing !admin, selecting 1.players and then finding 9. gravity, and choosing a player.

Thanks Joker, that's the answer I was looking for, though so far I've been shot to the very top of maps and never went into oblivion. Most escape maps also seem to have tons of invisible barriers that prevent even being shot to the top of the map. Again i was able to be shot to the top of the map because I allowed myself to have low grav as a zed. But as I stated in my original post, i never let players be a zombie with low grav. So it's a non issue. Players also know that if they delay a map they will be slayed for not doing the objective.

@I'm a zambi
    Sorry couple low grav with parachutes? Doesn't work. You can only have one or the other, unless you probably use the rcon command? but i don't. I've been using low grav all week before money told me not too (As i said i stopped when i was told to by a higher admin) but the server didn't get restarted lol, and doesn't seem buggy so i dunno. whatever.

@scribble
    The rules are in place so that the game is fun, and the objectives are met, if using admin powers doesn't interfere with these two things, then I am not really in violation of any rule. There is no written rule that states don't low grav players (as far as i am aware). If you believe i didnt follow the ToS or someone thinks I am abusing, its within your rights of course or zeros rights to take my 11 dollars and remove admin or ban me. I am not someone who is afraid of that or anything.

Thanks for clearing everything up though guys. In the sense that I understand no one wants me to use it, so i wont, but i haven't necessarily seen any good reason why its harmful. But your server, your rules.
    Last edited by SupermanTM; 02-02-2016 at 01:24 PM.

8. Default

It's very simple don't use gravity, many of us have already stated that it causes issues with the server.

Using admin privileges for fun is not tolerated and will result in you getting them restricted or lost completely.

Be very careful with your admin privileges, and it dose not hurt to ask if you are unsure of something.

9. Default

Last time I messed with gravity, while I did not crash the server, I had way to god damn much trouble getting it back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    So... what your trying to tell me is that you saw a spherical square?

10. Default

Well I am not sure you guys are in game often currently/anymore, all who post here, unless you are in the gungame server.

I'm just thinking there might be a sort of bandwagon effect going on with little evidence that it disrupts the server. Sort of like, oh yeah I heard this, now let me say it too, it must be a fact because everyone else claims it is, but also because the people who started saying it have authority or are an authority on the subject. Either way the reason its bad is because everyone said it is, and its become a tradition that it is. But not necessarily because there is actual physical evidence of it being bad anymore. Gravity might have screwed with the server ages ago, and it might still on ZM maps. But I am not sure its having any effect on ZE maps.

What I am starting to suspect is that there might be some type of misunderstanding.

I've heard from people who said you can go into oblivion.
    Okay maybe but ZE maps have tons of invisible barriers, and only if you give zombies gravity could they be shot into oblivion, and a majority of the time if its a ZM map, would it enable things like 'falling off the map' Which sometimes, on certain ZM maps, I can do this regardless, with no gravity (can't look up the names of the zm maps now). Either way we all agree gravity on ZM = bad and gravity on zombies = bad.

I've heard that gravity screws vendy machines on ZM maps or enable players who are high up to shoot vendy machines out of their cade position, and the vendy will fly like it weighs nothing.
    But we all agree gravity on zm is bad.

I've heard from people who said, it causes and requires server restarts.
    All I can do here is take your word for it. I used gravity for a week like I said, and nothing was required to get the server back to normal since nothing was abnormal. Setting a players gravity back to normal always worked. The map had no glitches or disruptions in anyway and the objectives were met, and it didn't seem more or less challenging for humans to win. THIS is the very reason it was a big surprise to me when everyone told me setting gravity is bad/harmful.

I've heard that it was challenging to get things back to normal from StarsMine.
    Now this comment is what leads me to believe there is some misunderstanding going on between when or how the server gets screwed. This makes me think that StarsMine, actually typed the command !rcon_whateverthecommandis 800, to set gravity across a whole map for some reason. And I am thinking this is what screws the server. This is not what I've done or would do. I don't touch gravity across the map, i just set 1 persons gravity using the admin menu, without typing commands. So It would just be nice to know is everyone 100% positive that using the in game !admin menu has the same effect of screwing the server over? That is if you all go in game now type !admin, select 1. players (by pushing 1 on y our keyboard) and then push 9, and select gravity, and then select a player, and then choose 5. for very low gravity. 100% positive this fucks the server? And what percentage of the time? 1%? Because it would have to be since I've been setting players gravity low for a week now with no adverse effects. I am not saying 1% is acceptable at all. 1% IS 1 time too many, and maybe I was lucky. But I just prefer discussions based on facts, not opinions, or heresy.

Also why not just remove the command? Isn't the command to bring players back to life/spawn players removed/disabled?
    Last edited by SupermanTM; 02-03-2016 at 04:30 PM.