Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Computer issues

1. Angry Computer issues

Ok, so Windows decided to do its selfupdate last night, and now no internet browser functions on my computer, i can still use the internet with things like skype or steam, but can't look at anything through any browser. (using my labtop for this) After having the crack group of IT people here look at it they feel something has gotten corrupted along the way so i need to reinstall windows. The reccomended using the upgrade disk i used to get windows 7 and just re-upgrade but that dont work since windows sees i dont need to upgrade since i already have windows 7.

Any suggestions on a fix before i got through wiping everything for windows? Also if i have to reinstall windows im going to upgrade to the 64 bit, is that gonna give me any noticeable benefits or problems?

Thanks for any help, I know this isn't an IT forum but I know for a fact there be plenty of computer nerds out there.
    I hit Brett right in the feels.

2. Default

check your internet explorer proxy settings
    Step 1
    Open Internet Explorer.

Step 2
    Click "Tools" and select "Internet Options."

Step 3
    Click the "Connections" tab.

Step 4
    Click "LAN Settings."

Step 5
    Un-check each box next to 1) "Automatically detect settings," 2) "Use automatic configuration script" and 3) "Use a proxy server for your LAN" (these settings do not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).

Rage at the Paper More!

3. Default

Also do you literally mean no internet browsers at all?

What sort of message does it give you when you try to view a website.

Can you ping a website? For example in command prompt try to ping google.com for example.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by What View Post
    the upgrade disk i used to get windows 7
    there's your problem. that upgrade...pretty much it just upgrades your annual headache meds cost.

had a similar problem on my home computer which was upgraded, still happens occasionally. winsock reset sometimes works, open up the command prompt (search -> cmd -> right click -> run as admin), type "netsh winsock reset" and i believe you have to restart after that. see if that does anything.

Through the darkness of futures past,
    The magician longs to see
    One chants out between two worlds:
    Fire, walk with me.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Also do you literally mean no internet browsers at all?

What sort of message does it give you when you try to view a website.

Can you ping a website? For example in command prompt try to ping google.com for example.
    Yeah i can ping stuff and that all looks normal, like i said i can use the internet to update avg, play on steam, talk on skype, but when i open an internet browser it gives me the can't find website message that you would normally get if you had no internet connection.
    I reset everything for internet explorer, then it started giving me the orignal problem and the error message "unable ti open search page"

With firefox it just gives me the can't display webpage thing.

I have an upgrade disc to give myself 64 bit windows 7 ultimate so i think im just gonna do that if i can't fix this soon, provide 64 bit isn't a pain in the ass compared to the 32 bit.
    Last edited by What; 09-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.

6. Default

if its not your proxy and you can ping stuff your screwed reinstall everything

Rage at the Paper More!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ::Paper:: View Post
    if its not your proxy and you can ping stuff your screwed reinstall everything
    Yeah that was kind of the diagnosis i got from the it guys, just annoying as hell, and any thoughts on 64 bit vs 32 bit windows?

8. Default

You want 64 bit but hold on here.

If you are able to get ping responses then your dns should be working.

What occurs when you try to view a website by ip directly?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Also what av ect do you have? A corrupt firewall or av suite can cause this problem and is most often the cause.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

MUT could be messed up so check your size: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Also to verify more data lets try to access a website via command prompt directly first enable telnet by:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
    Then turn windows features on or off and then click the telnet client so it is enabled (why ms disabled it after vista is to waste our time)

Then do the following in command prompt: telnet ibisgaming.com 80
    Next enter: GET /
    (DO NOT WORRY IF YOU CAN NOT SEE THE LETTERS WHEN YOU ENTER GET / JUST DO IT AND PRESS ENTER)

The output should look like this:
    Code:
    <html>
    <head><title>400 Bad Request</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>400 Bad Request</h1></center>
    <hr><center>cloudflare-nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>

Connection to host lost.
    If it does not please post what you get.

9. Default

I did the i explorer reset a couple times, no change, have not tried to connect via ip.

I have AVG, i had norton (came with the pc) but have since unistalled it, or at least most of it.

When i type the command you gave, first it said could not connect on port 80, so i left that off, then it stated could not open connection to host.

When i typed get / it told me that this was no recognized as a command.

Also, when i first noticed the issue,i reverted from the updated, and i explorer wored fine, but the stupid thing re-updated itself when it was in sleep mode over night and the option to undo the update was no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Also to verify more data lets try to access a website via command prompt directly first enable telnet by:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
    Then turn windows features on or off and then click the telnet client so it is enabled (why ms disabled it after vista is to waste our time)

Then do the following in command prompt: telnet ibisgaming.com 80
    Next enter: GET /
    (DO NOT WORRY IF YOU CAN NOT SEE THE LETTERS WHEN YOU ENTER GET / JUST DO IT AND PRESS ENTER)

If it does not please post what you get.

10. Default

Great we have identified the issue. Port 80 is being blocked likely by a firewall. This issue is known to be caused by default installs of norton that become corrupted. You will likely want to try to run this to see if it fixes it: https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...us&pvid=f-home

If not try to disable all security programs and see if that works. If it does then reenable them one at a time to identify which one is blocking port 80.

Also fyi, http connections are done via port 80 and your inability to establish connections on that port clearly identifies your problem. All your other services work b/c they do not require the use of port 80.