Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New User System

1. Default New User System

I was thinking that I should also look into ways to make it easier for new users to get the hang of WCS so that it is easier to pick up. Any ideas of how we can incorporate hints for new users to help them get the hang of it and understand what is going on better?

One idea I had to encourage new players was to implement an auto respawning system for users under level 30. If your <level 30 for example and you die without doing >X dmg you will be respawned as a handicap. This gives the player more learning experience by having more lives per round and helps their team a bit too.

2. Default

I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't help much. If you are thinking a relative instant respawn, like with BM, then the new users would probably just be killed almost instantly again, which I think would result in them becoming more frustrated with the game. If you make it like the Warden respawn, where they come back in their own spawn, this might give them the chance to play some more, but I'm am not sure if this would greatly benefit them in the long run.
    I hit Brett right in the feels.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    I was thinking that I should also look into ways to make it easier for new users to get the hang of WCS so that it is easier to pick up. Any ideas of how we can incorporate hints for new users to help them get the hang of it and understand what is going on better?

One idea I had to encourage new players was to implement an auto respawning system for users under level 30. If your <level 30 for example and you die without doing >X dmg you will be respawned as a handicap. This gives the player more learning experience by having more lives per round and helps their team a bit too.
    i dont mind that idea.
    i have perosnally played on a couple low level smurfs, and i can tell u that sometimes u just get 1 shot wrecked before u even get achance to walk out...

ima post a list of shit we can do. but first of all the community needs to fuckin grow up.

i joined an EMPTY wcs and managed to get 10 new players in the game... then ronnie and yoshir join on the SAME team (how convenient) and go max humans campoing in assault T ...

5 minutes later, the ENTIRE server is empty to bots only... COINCIDENCE? seriously, this community needs an overhaul, and human race should be restricted to not being able to be used after getting X xp on it, to avoid stackers and race whores on it.
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

4. Default

You need to be very careful how to implement something like this. Knowing the people that play on this server, you will either just have them chain killing over the corpse or they will camp spawn. Maybe if you gave them 10 second spawn protection even while they are shooting to prevent this from happening.

Human (all races with bash) should be a restricted race (1 at max level per 5 people per team rounded down, can have more if they are not maxed).

EDIT: It is good that new people have access to a race that is one of the most powerful in the server, but when you face 3+ humans that are all maxed and good players--well, it is rough. Especially if you don't know what to do or how to counter them.
    Last edited by Passarelli; 06-01-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Add trails to Vagalion. Or a big brightly colored sign that says [SHOOT HERE] with an arrow pointing below....

Now with that suggestion out there and out of the way... I'm so far only seeing methods of buffing a total level of under 40. By the time they get Blood Mage at least, they should already be caught up. Only problem is when vets come in with new accounts and abuse the system by staying on a starter race to max (example Human.... >.>).

Could also make a command that opens up a MOTD or something about quick leveling strategies that are commonly suggested. *shrug*

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenstinger View Post
    Add trails to Vagalion. Or a big brightly colored sign that says [SHOOT HERE] with an arrow pointing below....

This would be hilarious. Give them until level 10. When they buy and use nightvision, they can see vagas.

7. Default

Actually that might be more closely covered by a tracking ability for a future command and control style race.

But yea I want to make a better way to also give useful hint info to new players. Maybe even something that is simple steam menu based. We need to figure out a way to condense valuable information and relay it simply to new players so they can learn quick and easy.

Actually that might be more closely covered by a tracking ability for a future command and control style race.
    New race confirmed.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

perhaps when they die bring up a playerinfo on the person who killed them

new players will die from a vagalion or whatever and be like "wtf he can teleport?!?11!!"

only to be greeted with that player's race info and one of the options being race information

it'll encourage them to learn about the races they have to play against
    A programming genius called HEAP
    Had trouble in getting to sleep
    So he made his lambs troup
    through a huge FOR-NEXT loop
    FOR 1 TO 10000: NEXT sheep.

10. Default

I have been thinking... What if we make 'race spotlights' vids for individuals races on youtube. Like 1-3 minute videos explaining what each skill does, what is preferably maxed first in skills, common combos, common item builds, and common counters and victim races... I know league players are looking at me with a Mocking eye, but visual footage and voice guidance on tiny 3 mins clips for "champions" or races I'm interested in playing or I'm struggling against was found to be the fastest way for me to learn the basics at first...

And when they join ibis wcs, they are given a link in the welcome page for a tutorial on what is wcs, its rules and they can chain the starter races spotlight from there. We already have a lot of material we can use from Tom's condensed tutorial, we just need to find a gd script and narrator and I can definitely provide simple game footage..
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...