Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My triumphant return

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwtemp View Post
    No trollbait, simple truth. GO is an inferior game in too many ways to justify playing it over Source imo. It may be 'the wave of the future' and I might be Old Man River for continuing to play CS:S but that don't make GO good.

It's kind of a testament actually that the best defense of CS:GO anyone seems to have is 'GO is new and CS:S is old!'
    Another words, IBIS should get an GO Server????????????

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by $Money$ View Post
    Another words, IBIS should get an GO Server????????????
    Hell no!
    Don't let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game

3. Default

No trollbait, simple truth. GO is an inferior game in too many ways to justify playing it over Source imo. It may be 'the wave of the future' and I might be Old Man River for continuing to play CS:S but that don't make GO good.

It's kind of a testament actually that the best defense of CS:GO anyone seems to have is 'GO is new and CS:S is old!'
    Who have you been talking to? It's better for standard cs and competition because it's constantly being tuned and perfected for competitive play. CS:S is still better for most mods because the modding community has had a decade to work on it.

Through the darkness of futures past,
    The magician longs to see
    One chants out between two worlds:
    Fire, walk with me.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by brett friggin favre View Post
    CS GO sucks and I only play there because I am a redneck homosexual with bestiality tendencies, but only on mondays.
    There. i fixed it for you.

Fuck CS GO...
    CSS is where it's at.

The damn game flopped so hard that forget about "free to play", they were practically gonna start paying YOU to buy IT.

- - - Updated - - -

and on a completely irrelevent note to this thread: J, welcome back, and get rekt.
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CYBER View Post
    There. i fixed it for you.

Fuck CS GO...
    CSS is where it's at.

The damn game flopped so hard that forget about "free to play", they were practically gonna start paying YOU to buy IT.

- - - Updated - - -

and on a completely irrelevent note to this thread: J, welcome back, and get rekt.
    flop? so the biggest fps in the history of e-sports is a flop. guys, i think that despite cyber's hemispherectomy last year due to brain cancer, it has returned, and we need to cut out the other half to put him out of his misery.

http://www.esports.gg/csgos-high-growth-rate-in-2014/

Fire, walk with me.

6. Default

How was CS:GO a flop Cyber? It's still up for $15 and goes on sale every few months. Valve is making too much money off of that game man.

And jtemp, since you were serious about CS:GO being "inferior" to CS:S (a glorified tech demo for the Source Engine), I'll retort with CS:S was never taken seriously after CGS flopped. 1.6 was always the better game, and it still honestly is, but again it's been refined and perfected since 1999 the skill ceiling is so high in 1.6 as compared to Source/GO, but that's really due to the source engine itself.

That being said, out of the 2 counter-strike games on the Source engine, GO is the more fine-tuned game by far. If you're more worried about mods than the actual game itself, well to each his own.

P.S.: Arms Race is more fun than GunGame.

4) Use admin privileges sparingly and appropriately.

7. Default

I'll say this, I haven't touched CS:GO since I stopped playing CS:S over a year ago. If there have been constant updates and it's vastly improved from the steaming pile I was playing back in 2013, I'll reinstall and give it a go and see if there's any validity to your claims. Unless they significantly changed the game though I don't see it being more appealing than it was before.

I don't play what's more popular or what's trending or what is the 'future of e-sports.' I'm not super competitive about it at all, yes winning is fun but just interacting with other players is the real draw, so none of that stuff ultimately matters to me. I play solid games that are well developed, engaging and fun. If CS:GO is that now, I'm willing to give it a try and of course I'll play it. If it's not, back to the GunGame server to get votebanned again I go.

To cite a working example, everyone is and has been blowing their load all over Destiny right now. It's a shit game. I was finished with all the content it had to offer in a matter of maybe fifteen, twenty hours. People pour hundreds of hours into it grinding the same shit over and over because they're hooked on the psychological addictions Bungie put into it. It's not a great game, it's a good game with really good gameplay and shit content with no reason to play beyond 'be better than that other guy who you'll never play with ever.' I quit over a month ago because why waste time pointlessly grinding?

All the old peeps I've always played with still seem to be regularly joining the GunGame server as well. That's pretty important to me too. I don't come back to CS:S or to the Ibis website because it has a lot of content, it's the people that make it interesting.

Also I don't know how ArmsRace could be more fun than GunGame, it's literally GunGame so they're basically identical.

8. Default

Yeah, I gave GO a solid three hours of play time and I don't know how anyone plays it. The weapons still look and feel like toys, the graphics are in my opinion a step down from CS:S due to the terrible animations and awkward art style and the physics don't feel right at all. Even without thousands of hours in earlier versions of Counter-Strike, if you presented me this game I wouldn't play it, even after two years of 'updates' it still feels unpolished and unfinished in several ways.

Then you get into the atrocious maps. Holy shit, whose idea was it to make spawn points DIRECTLY NEXT TO EACH OTHER? It's awful, every round of Arms Race I played was nothing but a spawn camp/run n' gun noob fest, the same as it used to be. I get that it's far 'twitchier' than CS:S and probably any Counter-Strike game before it but I guess I don't drink enough Mountain Dew to find it fun or entertaining.

Maybe in another couple of years the updates will actually matter and the modding community can bring CS:GO to where it needs to be. As it stands, it's still a blight on the Counter-Strike brand as far as I'm concerned. It's a serious step back from all versions of Counter-Strike, be it a competitive gamer's paradise or not. I don't know why anyone spends time with it beyond 'it's the next iteration of CS and CS:S is old.'

9. Default

Yeah, I gave GO a solid three hours of play time and I don't know how anyone plays it. The weapons still look and feel like toys, the graphics are in my opinion a step down from CS:S due to the terrible animations and awkward art style and the physics don't feel right at all. Even without thousands of hours in earlier versions of Counter-Strike, if you presented me this game I wouldn't play it, even after two years of 'updates' it still feels unpolished and unfinished in several ways.

Then you get into the atrocious maps. Holy shit, whose idea was it to make spawn points DIRECTLY NEXT TO EACH OTHER? It's awful, every round of Arms Race I played was nothing but a spawn camp/run n' gun noob fest, the same as it used to be. I get that it's far 'twitchier' than CS:S and probably any Counter-Strike game before it but I guess I don't drink enough Mountain Dew to find it fun or entertaining.

Maybe in another couple of years the updates will actually matter and the modding community can bring CS:GO to where it needs to be. As it stands, it's still a blight on the Counter-Strike brand as far as I'm concerned. It's a serious step back from all versions of Counter-Strike, be it a competitive gamer's paradise or not. I don't know why anyone spends time with it beyond 'it's the next iteration of CS and CS:S is old.'
    well good on you for giving it a try. still wrong though. as of writing this, there are 139,000 people in-game in cs:go, 6,000 in cs:s. there are 48,000 viewers watching cs:go twitch streams, 10 viewers watching cs:s. the entire competitive cs scene is in go, whereas for most of source's lifespan, the majority of the competitive activity was still on 1.6.

Fire, walk with me.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by brett friggin favre View Post
    well good on you for giving it a try. still wrong though. as of writing this, there are 139,000 people in-game in cs:go, 6,000 in cs:s. there are 48,000 viewers watching cs:go twitch streams, 10 viewers watching cs:s. the entire competitive cs scene is in go, whereas for most of source's lifespan, the majority of the competitive activity was still on 1.6.
    I don't understand what your point is. It's more popular than an eight year old and fifteen year old game, therefore it's better? It's where 'competitive Counter-Strike is played?' I've already stated this but I'll do it again, popularity != good.

The top ten games being played on Steam, right now:

Players Now Peak Today
    532,465 969,501 Dota 2
    359,125 437,368 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    76,422 88,199 Team Fortress 2
    75,524 76,849 Football Manager 2015
    59,778 60,236 Sid Meier's Civilization V
    55,867 61,442 Garry's Mod
    54,121 56,903 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    43,315 45,904 Dying Light
    39,706 40,198 Starbound
    34,867 37,120 Arma 3

The #1 is a hyper competitive, free-to-play piece of shit MOBA. The next is CS:GO followed up in distant third by Team Fortress 2, another free-to-play game. The rest are games that hold little to no interest for me but that apparently everyone on Steam is eating up with a spoon. It should be noted that CS:GO gained significant market penetration by being as-close-to-f2p-as-you-can-get-without-being-f2p, setting its price point between $3-6 several times since the game launched. It certainly has a solid install base given its numbers but seriously, what is that proving? That people like playing shitty games? How many people are playing Call of Duty or Battlefield as we speak?

Seriously, what in Sam's Hell does what people are playing have to do with whether or not a game is good? Whether or not it's solidly built and stands up under scrutiny?

There are probably more players playing Destiny across its four platforms right now than those playing CS:GO, Hell probably than those playing DOTA 2. Destiny is a piece of shit, yet people obsessively play it for multiple reasons, the point is though they're logging in and playing a shitty game because they think it's what they should be doing for whatever reason they choose. Does that make it better than CS:GO? Than any other title? Maybe your answer is tied up in how many people are watching other people play Destiny on Twitch, something else that I couldn't give a rat's ass about because I'm a gamer, not someone who watches people play games (a phenomenon that, honestly, baffles the shit out of me, it would be like having someone read you a movie script instead of seeing the movie yourself but I digress).

As I've already said, if your best defense of the pretty apparent and in my estimation, major, issues with CS:GO is that 'everyone's playing it,' I think that's pretty indicative of a problem in and of itself honestly. Not all of my qualms with the game are subjective (terrible map spawn points come to mind instantly along with awful physics and animations) so what's the defense for stuff like that?