Quote Originally Posted by acolyte_to_jippity View Post
technically, torrents are just specially formatted text files that a tracker client interprets as instructions for where to go and connect to the actual torrent network. there is no copyright material in torrents.
its a huge grey are you're getting into. limewire was shut down for the fact that people were able to download songs that the artist or record label owners did not want them to be that easily (cheaply availiable). in my view torrenting falls under the same category as limewire and napster. there is almost no way the government or torrent provider/search engine can regulate every single thing that people can torrent, its just not plausible at all. regardless of these points, i understand both sides because i too, enjoy torrenting music and downloading from p2p search engines, but i also understand the governments point of view and the need to censor/ban certain content. you shouldn't need court to see if you can stop illicit activity, a cops not gonna walk down the street and say, oh theres a guy robbing a store, i'm gonna go see if i can get a court order to stop him. yes, eventually it should/will go to court, but you have to take care of business first