Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coke and Ice? -.-

1. Default Coke and Ice? -.-

Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

2. Default

that makes no since since the ice is only 90% watter how did it make the volume rise to over flow???????
    time to ask google XD i wish i knew who invinted google it saves me so many times i love you google.

3. Default

nopt sure about you guys, but i've never gotten such a low ice:coke ratio at mcdonalds. ffs, they might as well call it "mildly coke-flavored ice"
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

4. Default

Okay, here we go. If the cup was nothing but Ice then once it melted it would be less volume of the ice but since the cup is already filled with coke, water has different displacement and density of ice.

Ice is the opposite of just about everything else in the world. When the temp decreases its density decreases therefor it's displacement isn't as great as just water. Thats why less volume of water will displace more then a greater volume of ice.

Chemistry 101.
    These are the words you wish you wrote down.

5. Default

no andrew thats a lie we go by our own rules here and you make my head heart the real reason why is b/c its which craft XD

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Pavlik View Post
    Okay, here we go. If the cup was nothing but Ice then once it melted it would be less volume of the ice but since the cup is already filled with coke, water has different displacement and density of ice.

Ice is the opposite of just about everything else in the world. When the temp decreases its density decreases therefor it's displacement isn't as great as just water (STATEMENT IS WRONG). Thats why less volume of water will displace more then a greater volume of ice.

Chemistry 101.
    density = mass/volume
    => densityICE = massIce/VolumeIce
    DensityWATER = massWater/VolumeIce

Since the mass conversation law exists, => MassWater = MassIce = mass
    =>densityICE = mass/VolumeIce
    DensityWATER = mass/VolumeIce

So for the same mass, when the density increases => volume DECREASES => which is the case when the temperature increases as u mentionned above.
    And when the density decreases => volume INCREASES => which is the case when the temperature decreases, such as freezing as mentionned above.
    So following ur statement, assuming it is correct about the density, which IS correct, then the underligned statement is wrong, since the temperature of ice is lower than the temperature of water, then we should conclude from 2 lines ago that the volume displacement INCREASES more than the water version of it at a higher temperature.

But that still doesnt answer the question, if a LESS volume of water displaces a bigger volume of ice , then vice versa, a bigger volume of ice will end up reducing to a smaller volume of water. so when the ice cubes of volume V melt, their volume should become V of ice - displacementVolume .
    And so if the total volume of the mcdonalds cup is Vtotal1 = Vcoke + Vice
    Then when ice melts the new Volume should be : Vtotal2 = Vcoke + Vwater = Vcoke + ( Vice - displacementVolume)
    Vtotal2 = (Vcoke + Vice) - displacementVolume
    => Vtotal2 should be =Vtotal1 - displacementVolume
    => if V1 didnt overflow, then how the fuck did V2 overflow?...

sometimes its the easiest questions in life that are the most misleading.

PS: can u rephrase the part in green?
    does the fact that the ice is in COKE and not standalone in its own cup have anything to do with what is happening? will the behaviour of water and ice change?
    Last edited by CYBER; 12-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

7. Default

testing as we speak

8. Default

why are you at mcdonalds for 2 hours?

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae389.cfm

since frozen water takes up more space, when it melts, there will be no overflow. if completely submerged ice melts, there would actually be a decrease in overall volume. since ice is floating, some of the ice is above the liquid level, and when it melts, there would be no decrease or increase. ice floats pretty much the same in pop as it does in water, since pop is mostly water anyway, so the difference in displacement is negligible and doesn't matter anyway.

9. Default

guys...you're also fogetting the other most important part.

carbonation.

the soda is less dense when it's fresh because it has CO2 dissolved in it. after 2 hours of just sitting there, that CO2 will have disappeared, thus increasing the density. as the shape of the vessel won't have changed (or will have done so only negligibly through thermal contraction) the more liquid will decrease in volume as the density leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGBEARS
    I feel it is important for me to let you know how feeble your efforts to strike such feelings inside of me really are. I have the internal fortitude of a large animal, an elephant, for instance. Likewise, I'm the result of coitus between the devil and a pack mule made out of chainsaws, so I am extremely strong, and carry little care for others in this world. Trees also stand aside due to my chainsaw blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ๖ReS View Post
    How am I supposed to tell you to fuck off without replying ?

10. Default

it didn't overflow