Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Computer issues

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Great we have identified the issue. Port 80 is being blocked likely by a firewall. This issue is known to be caused by default installs of norton that become corrupted. You will likely want to try to run this to see if it fixes it: https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...us&pvid=f-home

If not try to disable all security programs and see if that works. If it does then reenable them one at a time to identify which one is blocking port 80.

Also fyi, http connections are done via port 80 and your inability to establish connections on that port clearly identifies your problem. All your other services work b/c they do not require the use of port 80.
    Well that sounds great that it can hopefully be fixed with something other than a complete redo of windows. I thought i had uninstalled norton but there may be something lurking around still, but how can i download the removal tool when i cant get to the webpage? I'm assuming i can save to a usb drive or something,but not quite sure how to do that.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

I disabled my firewalls, and disabled all add ons and such for i explorer, no change in behavior.

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

Also, im not great with this kind of stuff, i can't find anything with avg that acts as a firewall and while i am unable to delete some of the norton folders, there are nothing in them since i deleted the software, and that was weeks ago this problem didn't occur until last night due to the windows update.
    I hit Brett right in the feels.

2. Default

I do know as a fact that someone with the same problem resolved it by running that removal program. You need to move it over to your other system via a shared network folder or a usb stick or something.

Now I sleep

3. Default

Also, check your NAT for port 80 block on your local IP. Your router. Safe mode for removal of software (show hidden files and folders) and don't forget to clean the registry.
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones

4. Default

unfortunatly the download will not commence, it just hangs up loading the page. I finally got the response that the file could not be found by he website so i can't give that a go. I guess its back to reinstalling windows. I already saved my documens and photos to a portable harddrive, any suggestions and anything else i should back up?

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Also, check your NAT for port 80 block on your local IP. Your router. Safe mode for removal of software (show hidden files and folders) and don't forget to clean the registry.
    Ok ill try that, but what is NAT, and how do i clean the registry?

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

UPDATE: I restarted my computer in safemode with networking, and i can use the browsers again, so what does that mean?

5. Default

BTW Thank you guys for all the help, i'm a litte out of my element here

6. Default

well safe mode just means no drivers other than the bare minimum of what windows needs. w/ networking means it starts the networking drivers as well. if it works in safe mode, then one of the other drivers is somehow interfering with that communication. since it happened after the windows update, the update fucked with some driver somewhere or maybe just confused the shit out of it.

of course, all this most likely extends from that damn windows upgrade. not your fault, just shoddy work by microsoft. not sure whether to advise you to update or roll back your drivers, but one of those 2 might be a fix if no others work.

Through the darkness of futures past,
    The magician longs to see
    One chants out between two worlds:
    Fire, walk with me.

7. Default

TA FUCKING DA!

I ran the norton removal thing since i was able to access it in safemode and now im on the internets again!!!!!!!!

THANX ZERO and to a lesser, but still hearty, THANKS to STEAMER, BRETT, and PAPIER MACHE!

woo!

8. Default

Glad to hear it worked b/c I did not want you to need to reformat for something that clearly is not an OS related issue. An OS level problem would just break the internet all together.

Also what is important is that we have all learned something incase anyone runs into this issue again in the future!

9. Default

did u try unplugging the printer?
    Started from bottom. Now we here. <IBIS>

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO View Post
    Trying to hack in IBIS is like trying to kill someone in a police station, not the best idea...

10. Default

Cyber, your messed that up, simply check your printer cables.
    Make all your last demands for I will forsake you and I'll meet your eyes for the very first time, for the very last.

maynard <ibis>: they are awkward and last 2 damn long. I prefer thinner smaller ones