Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New way of dealing with bans

1. Arrow New way of dealing with bans

As part of our change to SM we are also adjusting how banning and unbanning will be processed. First as bans can not have reasons attached directly in sourcebans along with demos there is no longer a reason to be making threads in the bans section.

Instead this section will be dedicated to perma bans only and only current admins will be able to post. In addition a new review system and format will be created in order to process these perma ban requests. Be on the lookout for this new system and format in the coming days.

In a few weeks we will start to create an application process for upper level admins that will assist the clan with processing these bans. These admins will also have some additional privileges on the server to compensate them for this service.

Here is how the system will work FOR NOW until we start to bring in upper level admins.

A admin will ban a player for 30days. Then they will create a thread in the ban section requesting the ban be upgraded to perma. Clan members will then review and when a 2/3 majority of a minimum of 3 votes is reached a decision to perma ban will be issued and one of them will upgrade the ban via the web panel. If a majority is not found than the player will be unbanned.

Now if there is also an unban appeal before, after or during the above process it will not be evaluated until after the first decision is reached. If the first decision was an unban it will be disregarded. If it is not than the demo will be reviewed again by different clan members and another vote cast unless some of the original reviewing members have decided to rule innocent. No changes from innocent to guilty will be permitted but those that voted guilty in the original ruling can reverse their decision at any time and have the resulting value override the original decision thus rendering it void.

Logically I reserve the right to step in at any time and make a final judgement. Any judgement made by me can only be reversed by me.

My hope is that once we get everyone use to this new system it will offer a faster way to process ban and unban requests and to do so in a fair manor that minimizes false positives. Over the next year this system will likely under go many changes in order to finalize it as to provide the best experience for everyone.

I thank you all for your continued support of IBIS Gaming, I know things are going to be ruff for a few months but together we will make this community better than ever before

2. Default

Note I will make it so that only admins can make threads but only clan members will be able to vote in the polls for what decision they want to reach. This way comments from anyone are still allowed.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Also note that this is only for dealing with perma bans. Everything else will still go the way it currently does. Also as always the banning admin can unban at will and override anyone decision even mine. (assuming the decision was to perma ban)

3. Default

This is great as it seems handling the bans this way will cut down on a lot of clutter and arguments. No more unban me threads, etc.

Awesome ZERO.

4. Default

huh? we still have a unban me section. we just wont deal with their request till the ban request thread is dealt with... and granted it comes up that we don't ban the person, well obviously the unban request would just be closed

Maynard - The WCS Guy

5. Default

In the future I will likely separate the unban section into temp and perma to make it easier to address problems and filter things out.

This would also make it easier for clan members to identify which unban threads they should be helping to get solved now and which need to be waited on. I may also add some sort of solved mod or something so that threads that are concluded can be labeled that way in addition to being closed.

6. Default

Looks like the TOS is going 2 need a good overhaul 2 comply with all the new things going down.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    huh? we still have a unban me section. we just wont deal with their request till the ban request thread is dealt with... and granted it comes up that we don't ban the person, well obviously the unban request would just be closed
    Regarding unban me threads with permabans. They are pointless considering the requirement of a majority vote from clan determining the permanent ban. I should have been more specific.

edit: ...am I not understanding this correctly?

8. Default

yes, but even if the majority choice is 2 ban the person and they are then perma band... if the person in question goes and appeals it with a unban thread, it's reviewed again, and new people vote on it.... which now that I think of it seems like it's going 2 slow the process down big time... am I getting that right zero? cause the majority of people protest their bans, so would it basically come down 2 everytime there's a permaban (and it's voted 2 uphold the ban) followed by a unban request, it will take a total of 4-6 people and 2 separate threads/polls 2 get it solved?

if that is what you're planning wouldn't it make more sense 2 have it so ONLY you deal with unban me threads after a vast majority perma ban is made given you are the best at spotting such issues... cause who would be 2 say that the second set of people who vote on the issue are any more qualified than the first? or why the opinion of the first group of voters doesn't really count, only the opinion of the second set of voters does? ... I'm confused...

Now if there is also an unban appeal before, after or during the above process it will not be evaluated until after the first decision is reached. If the first decision was an unban it will be disregarded. If it is not than the demo will be reviewed again by different clan members and another vote cast unless some of the original reviewing members have decided to rule innocent.
    Last edited by maynard; 07-05-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Maynard - The WCS Guy

9. Default

If the initial ban is unanimous it can not be appealed. Also I am trying to leave the framework in for when we start to get upper level admins.

Then it will look more like this

admin issues ban (police)

upper level admins review and vote (court)

clan level reviews and votes if it was appealed (federal court)

zero reviews (supreme court)

The clan has the ability to decide on a case even if it not being appealed in that a case can be reviewed by them if that it wanted. In any case the clan decision always overrides the upper level. This is not how it works right now but how it will work in the future. It will not be for another month or so before we start to bring upper level admins in. This setup is to carry us over until then.

The application system for upper level admin will start in August.

10. Default

Ohhh ok. that makes sense.

Maynard - The WCS Guy